1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo or Denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by -, Feb 22, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does the thx stamp on the onkyo mean anything to you? i believe it is only the "select" variant which i again believe comes down to a lesser spec on the transformer/peak output capabilities. Personally i have no experience of the Onkyo but have read many pleased owners reviews of the unit, i do however own the 3801 which is piped out to 2 Rotel 985 thx power amps as
    a: My speaker arrangement is a quite a difficult load, and
    b: In all honesty i don't think the denon alone would cope even though it is rated at 105 watts into 7 channels (but we all know that when all speakers are loaded the output of amps UNLESS THX ULTRA CERTIFIED will drop dramatically) i have also read several owners reports claiming concern for the denon running out of steam at very high levels, i obviously cannot comment on this but i think that realistically this could also be levelled at the onkyo

on the very positive side i have found the decoding of the EX/ES and Discreet formats to be a real revelation and decoding in general can be considered as absolutley first rate for the money (although RRP is £800 i got it for £610 delivered from Superfi a U.K model too not a grey. I was using a yamaha 795a with the rotel's and there is a real improvement. Can't comment on musical or tuner abilities as i use a dedicated hifi set-up.
    But all in all thrilled with it and if you are using it as a stand alone amp i think as long as you use relatively efficient speakers 88db/w/m or above i guess with a high ish inpedance then i think you be very pleased with it, i am

Regards

SteveEX

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Get the Denon AVR 3801, and the Denon DVD 1000, rather than the 1500, it's cheaper and better!

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

[This message has been edited by ReTrO (edited 22-02-2001).]

3. markn

markn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just about to take my first steps into home cinema and I seem to be getting different recomendations per shop. I'm basically down to two receivers and two DVD players. The Denon AVR-3801 and the Onkyo TX-DS787, and the Denon DVD1500 and the Onkyo DV-S535.
    I think 5 speakers and a sub will be my limit and the musical abality of the said units isn't essential as any of these units are better than what I have already.
    Does anyone have any views on this or can anyone point me to any reviews.
    Thanks in anticipation

4. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    SteveEX,
    I'm surprised you didn't go for the AVC-A1SE.
    Mark B

5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 3801 and I'm very happy with it. It sounds very nice. One thing to think about is that Onkyo amps have active cooling fan, which some people find annoying (and is something else to go wrong... [​IMG])

Checking this months HCC (page 80) the 787 does have a fan - and isn't rated too highly musically (bit of a bummer as its more expensive!).

No idea whatsoever about the players though! [​IMG]

The only way to know is to go and have a listen.

have fun,

Jim

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Onkyo TX DS 787 for 2 months now and really can't fault it. If you are new to the Home Cinema game then the first lesson you need to learn is to ignore magazine reviews and find a dealer who will let you listen to what you intend to buy. Some dealers will let you live with equipment for up to 7 days (Sevenoaks Sound & Vision a good example)and if you don't like it, return it. Learn to trust your ears and not lab results.
    THX on a model, be it Ultra or Select means that you are buying a bit of kit that has been well tested. But don't think that because it dosen't have a THX badge it isn't good.
    Grab a copy of your favourite DVD, get down to your local dealer and listen for yourself, take it home with you and enjoy!