Onkyo nr905 sound concerns

marty1

I have owned the 905 for a while now, the rear speaker outputs recently started crackling so I took it back for repairs.

I was loned another onkyo, not sure what the model was but It was around £400, although the sound quality was nowhere near the standard of the 905, the subwoofer output was far more rich in sound, does anyone else find that the bass output on the 905 is quite low?

Also I remember seeing a demo of the focal chorus 800 floorstander speakers, one step down from my focal profile 900 floorstanders, they were running it on a pioneer amp, just the 2 main speakers, no sub, playing dj tiestos traffic, a thumping trance track, the bass was very powerful. When I play this track on my profiles through the onkyo, speakers at full band, sub off, the bass didn't sound anywhere near as good asit did in the demo room.

Have I set something up wrong?

Also when playing bluray discs I occasionally get the sound cutting out for a fraction of a second, it's definately not the disc as it doesn't happen in the same parts of the film.

Can anyone enlighten me?? :lease:

IAIN-50

Standard Member
Hi it seems that the more you play with it it seems you forget what you have done, the ones on demo are probally straight out of the box. I wish I could get mine to sound as it did when I first used it before I used audyssey.

Iain:lesson:

John7

If you run direct or pure, you bypass Audyssey (but lose the sub output). You can also turn Audessy off if you set the equalizer to off in the settings menu.

marty1

Any explanation on the sound cut problems, would that be the amp?

Also the subwoofer in movies being quiet?

alpha10

Any explanation on the sound cut problems, would that be the amp?

Also the subwoofer in movies being quiet?

Do you have a sound preasure meter that you can measure the sub output?

could just be set too low, I manually set my 905 up and get better results

marty1

Do you have a sound preasure meter that you can measure the sub output?

could just be set too low, I manually set my 905 up and get better results

Yes I do have a spl meter and Yes it does set it quite low, I have to set it to +5 db which seemed quite high compared to the £400 loan onkyo which was very loud at -2db.

Just to add another question to this thread, I find that after doing audyssey mike setup the response of the 2 mains + sub has large peaks and dips, with audyssey eq off, it's a lot flatter response. However the problem is that with eq off, the speakers sound a little dull, audyssey on they sound a lot more clarified and brighter, how do I get the bass response of eq off and the speaker sounds of audyssey on to work similtaneously?

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom