Onkyo HTX22HD successor: Onkyo HTX22HDX *Part 2*

Mostly Soundbar or Soundbase with Wired or Wireless Subs available now and most/all have the main connectivity on the Soundbar or Soundbase.

Joe

I have a friend offering me this system and will probably go for it. I currently use a JBL SB400 soundbar and wireless sub but just recently unboxed my old Logitech Z5500 system and gave it a quick demo. Forgot how much I liked proper 5.1.

As the Logitech is a bit basic with no HDMI inputs and being a bit bulky it seems like the Onkyo solves both my issues.

One question - is HDMI selection manual - or can it auto switch if CEC is enabled?

Be aware that CEC can be a mixed bag - when it works it is great, when not your system can become a nightmare and CEC is best disabled.

Joe

CEC working perfectly with my Panasonic GT60 but I'm finding the sound pretty weak. I have my Xbox one set to uncompressed 5.1 but to me it sounds much better when set to bitstream. Recommended setting or am I doing something wrong? Cheers

Hello,
I hope someone can help. I have had the 22hdx with the extra speakers for a few years passing TiVo, PS4 And RPi through the onkyo then one hdmi to tv, no issues. However I now have a smart 4k tv so would rather pass all inputs to tv then ARC back to onkyo receiver. The issue I have is what settings. I seemed to get everything to work but couldn't get 5.1 und only 3.1. Sometimes rear would come through right front and right rear with same for left. Also no sound through subwoofer. Is setting up ARC a minefield? Any help much appreciated please.

Hi,
does anyone know if it is possible to connect htx22dx with samsung soundbar q600a and tv qn90?
thnx

What are you trying to achieve having the Surround Sound system and Soundbar both connected to the TV?

Joe

I will like to use them both if it is possible.
I already have onkyo system and planning to get new TV with sound bar or just TV.
They offering me soundbar 50% off.

Maybe can I connect onkyo to TV via eARC and than to sound bar? Or vice versa?
TV --> HTX --> soundbar
TV --> soundbar--> HTX

hm, don't have a clue
😮

Good question😀
Thinking of putting wireless woofer somewhere at the back of a room.
Which system would you prefer to use? Should I take Samsung one or just stick with Onkyo?

The Samsung Sub will only work with the Samsung Soundbar and should be positioned relatively close to the Soundbar as it fills in midrange and bass so will sound disjointed if you place it to the rear of the room.

I would compare the Onkyo Sat/Sub system with the Samsung Soundbar/Sub in your room and decide which system works best for you and stick with one or the other.

Joe

Your shout :) I guess if you purchase the Soundbar at 50% of its RRP you can always sell it on for no loss if you prefer the Onkyo system, or simply stick with the Onkyo if you are happy with how it sounds.

Joe

I have to agree with @Joe Fernand on this one

I'm guessing ultimately as your getting a new TV and the soundbar is offering you a 50% itch to buy, you were expecting using both together would give you even more of what you have today.

I suspect if you do tried both together, you will create an echo in the room due to the processing system of each being milliseconds out

As to which one is better, as Joe has mentioned, its your own ears that will tell you which one is the best one for you.

With a surround sound solution compared to a soundbar, the sound stage will sound narrower if you have the speakers mounted in the corners. however, if you have the front three speakers mounted in close proximity, then the soundbar might sound similar. If the Samsung offers wireless rear speakers, then as a solution it should sound very similar whereas if its just a soundbar with a woofer, then I feel you will miss the surrounds

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom