• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo HTX-22HDX + SKS-22X Speakers - Package or HTS-3405B or other???

Richie1309

Standard Member
Im looking for a AV receiver that uses HDMI at least 2 inputs and 1 output with ARC, with 5.1 speakers. Also blu-ray audio is a must. looking for good sound quality rather than massively loud sound. now the but im looking for the lowest price system that can do this which i know is a big ask and appricate you only get what you pay for i've seen a couple of onkyo systems that are available for round-a-bout £300, are these the best systems for the money? are there other options? the onkyo systems i've looked at are:
HTS-3405B
and
Onkyo HTX-22HDX + SKS-22X Speakers
also can any one recommend where is best to buy?

appriciate any help and advise people can give me

Thanks all
Richard

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The Yamaha 196 is very similar to the 3405 but under £200 so also worth a look. Personally I would go for the 196 or 3405 since they have a separate amp unit.

Richie1309

Standard Member
Sounds really good, I had a quick look can some one confirm if the Yamaha 196 system supports DTS-HD Master audio/Dolby True HD? I think not as I cant see it listed anywhere in the spec's or features, it only seems to support the DVD level CODEC's i.e DTS surround and Dolby Digital, forgive me if this is a stupid question but if i have a receiver and speaker system only supports DD Digital and DTS surround and i hook it up to my blu-ray player will i still get DD Digital/DTS surround quality even though i wont get the blu-ray level CODEC's? i.e. DTS-HD master audio/Dolby True HD.

Yes I know im greedy what it all for paying out as little as possible..... but dont we all like a bargin?

again thanks every one who can help. Also can someone recommend the best place's to buy either south of england or online.

cheers

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sounds really good, I had a quick look can some one confirm if the Yamaha 196 system supports DTS-HD Master audio/Dolby True HD? I think not as I cant see it listed anywhere in the spec's or features, it only seems to support the DVD level CODEC's i.e DTS surround and Dolby Digital, forgive me if this is a stupid question but if i have a receiver and speaker system only supports DD Digital and DTS surround and i hook it up to my blu-ray player will i still get DD Digital/DTS surround quality even though i wont get the blu-ray level CODEC's? i.e. DTS-HD master audio/Dolby True HD.

Yes I know im greedy what it all for paying out as little as possible..... but dont we all like a bargin?

again thanks every one who can help. Also can someone recommend the best place's to buy either south of england or online.

cheers

The YHT196 is reliant on the player to do the decoding. It has no onboard HD audio decoding abilities of its own, but can accept HD LPCM audio resulting from a player doing the decoding prior to ouput.

Your best bet is probably Richard Sounds in terms of a retailer:
http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/yamaha/yht196/yama-yht196

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
It will at the very least do audio over HDMI hence your receiver would decode the HD audio and send it too the 196 to play. It will sound the same no matter which item (bluray player or receiver) does the decoding. So you will get HD audio with the 196.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom