Onkyo HTS6305 any good?

lee171181

Standard Member
Hi,

Im looking to buy a home cinema setup & have come across this at Richer Sounds and was wondering if anyone has any experience of this setup & if its any good?

I have previously looked at buying separate receivers and speakers like the Sony 810 and Kef speakers but this works out quite expensive so I was just wondering how this sort of system would compare & what features I would be gaining/loosing by choosing something like this?

I currently have Sony 40" LCD, Sky HD, Panasonic Blu Ray, Xbox 360 and Wii that will need to be connected into it.

Any help/info much appreciated.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The 6305 is a good system for the price and does have a lot of features. The sub is active which will make upgrading/replacement easier in the future. Also with it being based on the 508 it should have upconversion which will be handy since you have a Wii. The only compromise with it is probably the speakers. Onkyo are not known for their speakers and I suspect the 810 with Kef speakers will sound better mainly due to the Kefs being better speakers. However, if you are on a budget the 6305 will be hard to beat for the price.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Not sure but thought the 508 had upconversion so thought it might be on this too. May well be wrong as I have not checked the specs.

lee171181

Standard Member
I would want upconversion so i'd have to rule it out if it doesn't support it!

How does the Onkyo 508 compare to the Sony 810? I see the Sony has won awards so is this a better receiver than the Onkyo?

My budget is around the £400 mark so not sure if i'm better sticking with the Onkyo package or getting the Sony 810 receiver with either the same or some different speakers? If the Onkyo speakers are not great, is there an alternative that would total to a similar budget?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
To be honest the Sony and Onkyo are going to be very close if not the same in terms of sound quality. The only difference will be how they present the sound and which way you prefer. Awards/reviews are OK but should only be used as a guide at best since they can be influenced by all manner of things (i.e. which company buys the most advertising in that particular mag etc...). A popular spaeker package for Sony/Onkyo recievers at this level is the Tannoy SFX speaker set although if you could stretch to the Q Accoustics 1010i then that would be better.

lee171181

Standard Member
Thanks,

Ive been having a look at the speakers and think I prefer the look of the Tannoys over the Q Acoustics, mainly due to style and size. Is RS the best place to get these from as they are now £199 online but im sure ive read threads not long ago saying they were going for £150? Are they likely to do me a deal on amp/speakers/stands package?

I think im also swaying more towards the Sony 810 over the Onkyo 508 so would the Sony 810 & Tannoy SFX5.1 be a good amp/speaker combination, or would a different make of speakers be better suited to the Sony amp?

With the Sony amp, I've heard that when its all hooked up with my equipment if I dont switch it on & leave it in standby then the sound will just come out of my TV speakers as normal like it does now is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom