Onkyo HT-X22HDX - is it an upgrade?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by mattlee, Mar 11, 2013.

1. mattlee

mattlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I currently have the Sony HT-SF2000 with Sony tallboy speakers. I'm moving house and would like something quite compact and initially no trailing cable to the rear.

I was thinking if the Onkyo HT-X22HDX as a starter and further down the line adding ceiling or wall mounted speakers at the rear (flush) and a centre speaker.

Would this provide better audio than the Sony and would I miss the rear speakers initially?

I'm running a Samsung 3D TV, Apple TV gen3, PS3 (main BD player), Toshiba HD-DVD player and a Humax PVR.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,160
    I think it will be an upgrade, but since you're planning to go for separate speakers later on then you might be better off buying a dedicated receiver and speakers instead. What's your total budget, at least for this step?

3. mattlee

mattlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello.

Was trying to compact things so liked the combined sub and amp. Not really got a budget in mind but I can get the Onkyo 2.1 kit, manufacturers refurb for just £150.

4. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,160
    OK, for that kind of budget the Onkyo should be a good choice. You can't expect a lot from something like that, but it'll do just fine as an improvement on the Sony setup. I'm not entirely sure how it will cope with additional speakers, and please don't expect it (especially once you add even more speakers) to be able to go very loud and clear, it's not a miracle worker!

5. mattlee

mattlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. Not expecting miracles, just want to make sure I'm not downgrading. Don't need it to be loud but clarity is a must! Hmmm.

6. ninhydrin

ninhydrin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had the HD22 for over 4 years and it was a great bit of kit, I upgraded to the 5.1 though and it made the world of difference, iv just upgraded to the onkyo NR616 and although I can hear a difference I wouldn't say it's like a ford and Ferrari difference, if you can afford it I'd recommend going for the 616 at the price it's going for at present but if not then IMO you won't be disappointed with the HD22 for movies in TrueHD At that price