ONKYO HT-S5405B vs PANASONIC SCBTT370

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Shiver2K8, Jan 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Shiver2K8

Shiver2K8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all....need some advise.

Been looking at these two systems; ONKYO HT-S5405B & PANASONIC SCBTT370. I was going to buy the ONKYO and buy the PANASONIC DMPBDT310 separate to go with my Panasonic Viera TX-P50ST30, but would I be better off just buying the SCBTT370?

I have a PS3,Xbox360 and SKY HD which ideally i would like connected at the same time. Also I would like to stream music from my laptop and I believe you can do this via DLNA? Could be wrong.

Hope someone can help, want to buy asap, sound is rubbish through tv! lol

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    I would go for the Onkyo 5405 as it is based around an AV receiver so will have more connectivity for your other items. It will also have better sound quality and be easier/cheaper to upgrade/replace in the future. How much have you seen the 5405 for? If it is £400 or so then you could get a cheaper system by getting the Onkyo 309 (£150 and the same receiver as in the 5405) with something like the Tannoy SFX speakers (£200 and better than the speakers with the 5405). Your PS3 is a good bluray player and can do 3D as well so no need to buy a bluray player straight away.

3. Shiver2K8

Shiver2K8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Seen as I'm not needing a blu ray player might treat myself to the ONKYO TXNR609, could you recommend some speakers for around £380? What do you think to these; JBL CINEMA500 vs ARMAN/KARDON HKTS30BQ? Although for £200 these seem good; HARMAN KARDON HKTS9. But I have no idea as this is my first seperates buy?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    To be honest you would be better going for the 509 and then using the extra money for better speakers (or get the 309 and use all the extra money for better speakers). The 609 is a good amp but will be wasted on speakers sub £500 IMHO. As a general guide you should spend more on speakers than the reciever and up to 3 times the price of the receiver on the speakers. A lot of people have a ratio closer to 1:1 and are perfectly happy but I certainly would not go for speakers cheaper than the receiver.