Onkyo HT-S5405 to X-Fi Titanium

NathObeaN

Standard Member
I have recently purchased the Onkyo HT-S5405. Diagram below:

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/21976329_8e93b7ec54.jpg

I then have the X-Fi Titanium sound card:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/i/rev/...ster-x-fi-titanium-fatal1ty-professional1.jpg

Could someone please advise me if there is any way to connect the AV reciever to my sound card and achieve 5.1 surround. As far as I am aware this is only possible via analogue connections. The digital connection only provides 2 channel PCM.

Please help!

Thank you.

NathObeaN

Standard Member
Well I found the solution to my problem. I had to install the Dolby and DTS packages from Creative, Dolby and DTS are now recognised by the reciever and the surround sound is brilliant. This is through the optical ports on both devices. Installing the packeges added an "Encoding" tab on my drivers menu so that I could configure it for Dolby/DTS. The sound still isn't as crisp and clear as my analogue speakers though.

Unless I get them sounding BETTER than my old system then they will be going downstairs for the telly.

I also made a stupid mistake or wiring the front left/right speakers the wrong way around. Spending hours trying to figure out what was wrong, absolutely convinced I had wired it properly. Then I thought, I will double check again, and behold it was indeed wired incorrectly.

I have now encounted another problem, there is now an audio delay (The audio is delayed after the video). I am going to try setting the speaker distance further away however, as I just read that setting the speaker distance too low (I have mine at 0.3m - on my PC desk) introduces audio lag. Setting the speaker distance higher forces the AV reciever to output the audio faster. (The theory that it reaches your ear on time) - I will report back if this works.

Last edited:

NathObeaN

Standard Member
Well the system was no good with my PC, and the delay was there to stay no matter what. I think this was all down to the sound card though and the way PCs work, which is mostly analogue. Despite getting DTS and Dolby to work through the PC it just didn't sound right and it wasn't in sync with the video no matter what I tried.

I have put it downstairs instead and actually glad I did. With Blu-Rays it sounds absolutely awesome. I connected my Xbox 360 and played Halo Reach and the crispness and surround sound was incredible.

So... PS3, Xbox 360, Blu-Ray, DVD = YES.

PC = No.

Maybe with a better sound card with HDMI it would sound a lot better. However PCs still rely on a lot of analogue audio so I am not sure it would sound as good still.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom