Onkyo HT-S5405 Owners Thread

dannycorker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get one of these soon, and seen it pop up across several threads. Thought it would be good to start a proper thread for it, so owners can share tips etc.

First question I have, is whether anyone has tried using a Harmony remote with it? Tried adding to my Harmony devices, and couldn't find an exact match for the all in one or the receiver that is bundled?

Will update this post with any tips or guides etc that people offer.

21976315_5fe9ca5037.jpg

21976329_8e93b7ec54.jpg

Onkyo Product Description
With packaged home cinema, you want ease-of-use and maximum features for your investment. Onkyo’s HT-S5405 adds to the equation a level of A/V quality rarely seen at the entry level. In the age of Blu-ray, HDMI® is the king of connectors. That’s why Onkyo equipped the HT-S5405’s receiver with four of the latest HDMI inputs to handle both 3D video and pristine audio from high-definition Dolby and DTS codecs. Versatile HDMI also opens the door to an Audio Return Channel from your HDTV’s tuner to the receiver, plus on-screen display functionality for on-the-fly adjustment of settings. Meanwhile, a handy front-panel USB input lets you hook up your iPod/iPhone and send a pure digital signal to the receiver. Also on the front panel are analog A/V inputs for easy connection of a camcorder or game console. During set-up, Audyssey 2EQ® adjusts the soundstage to your listening space, to make the most of the 5.1-channel surround-sound speaker set. The package includes a powered subwoofer that delivers greater bass impact without taxing the receiver.

Manuals:

PS3 Settings
On the fat PS3:-
Select Sound Settings
Select HDMI
Select AUTO
Check that all the DD, DTS and a number of PCM (all the way up to 7.1) are ticked.
Save the settings
Go to the BD/DVD settings
Select audio output format as PCM and save the settings.

On the slim PS3:-
Select Sound Settings
Select HDMI
Select AUTO
Check that all the DD, DTS and a number of PCM (all the way up to 7.1) are ticked.
Save the settings
Go to the BD/DVD settings
Select audio output format as bitstream and save the settings.

On the Onkyo:
Press Setup
Select Input/Output Assign -> HDMI Input
Go to the line for the source that you want the PS3 to appear on and set it to the HDMI socket that you plugged the PS3's HDMI cable into (IN1 or IN2).
Press return
Select Digital Input
Check that the input you assigned your HDMI to (above) states 'HDMI'
Press setup

All done!
Quoted from 'Rom's thead here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo-products/696423-faq-setting-up-ps3-onkyo-amp.html

Sky Sound

The sky hd box does not output DD5.1 over HDMI. To get DD5.1 you will need to connect either a optical or coaxial cable to the S5405, there are two menu settings to change to get the DD sound. One is on the "Digital Audio" setting, change to optical 1 if the optical cable is plugged into that. Then you need to go into "Source Setup" and change the "Audio Selector" to "Optical" this will produce a DD logo on the display of the S5405 when DD sound is been transmitted.

Quoted from 'simonr' in this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/14648054-post11.html

A couple of useful threads:

Last edited:
Ill be keeping my eye on this thread, will be taking the plunge soon and this seems to be the sweet spot for my miniscule budget,gotta leave some pennies for my 50gt30 i have my eyes on aswell. just need to decide which bluray player ill get to match the setup. keep us updated on the harmony one issue as one of those is also on my list of things to get.

:thumbsup:

Looking at purchasing this in a few weeks for my secondary home theatre system. Seems like it is a good bang for buck av receiver & speaker package. It's only a small room so don't need anything major and it's going to be used mainly for Xbox & PS3 with a bit of TV and the odd film. I will be pairing it with an LG 47LE8900 which I got a great deal on to replace an old 32" Dell LCD. My only concern is I haven't seen many reviews for it.

It will be replacing Logitech Z-5500 speakers which I've been very happy with over the years but and I assume it will be at least as good if not better sounding.

Edit: Also have harmony one remote so will be interested in any updates.

Last edited:
Glad to see some people showing interest! I've emailed Logitech about the remote so will update the thread when I know. Also going to keep updating first post with anything I think would be useful for owners. Would be very good to get someone in the thread who owns one already lol! :D

Hi right then i must admit I like the look of this system. I want a new one as my old sony DAV just don't have enough connections on the back.
So some questions if you don't mind :)
First off I have a samsung AU46C8000 3D tv with sammy 3D blu-ray player. Also I have sky HD, and a new slim xbox 360.
With all of the above would I just plug the hdmi's into the back of the system then run a hdmi to tv? Would this create 5.1 for all of my toys plus giving me full HD pic? Or would I need to use optical? As iv heard the sky box will not produce 5.1 only 2 with hdmi?
So if the answer is yes to the first question, will that mean the amp will always know which system to use I.e I finish watching a movie on sky and put xbox on, or will I manually have to change source?
Thank you :)

Hi right then i must admit I like the look of this system. I want a new one as my old sony DAV just don't have enough connections on the back.
So some questions if you don't mind :)
First off I have a samsung AU46C8000 3D tv with sammy 3D blu-ray player. Also I have sky HD, and a new slim xbox 360.
With all of the above would I just plug the hdmi's into the back of the system then run a hdmi to tv? Would this create 5.1 for all of my toys plus giving me full HD pic? Or would I need to use optical? As iv heard the sky box will not produce 5.1 only 2 with hdmi?
So if the answer is yes to the first question, will that mean the amp will always know which system to use I.e I finish watching a movie on sky and put xbox on, or will I manually have to change source?

I don't have Sky myself, so can't claim to be an expert, but as far as I can gather, yes you would have to use optical for your Sky box, whereas everything else could just use HDMI. And as for your second question, as far as I know, you will be able to use the onscreen menus to tell the receiver that the audio for the Sky comes over HDMI - if you switched to the 360 for instance, it would use HDMI sound again, without you having to do anything.

I think I'm right, but if someone with more experience wants to conform for me, that'd be great! :D

That's great thanks :)
Going to have a look on mon so will see if I like the sound :)

Been looking at these Onkyo systems for a while, but yet to take the plunge.
This one definately tops my list atm.

Think i'll wait just a little longer, and see if it has any issues.
The sub 'clicking' that older models had for example.

would I need to use optical? As iv heard the sky box will not produce 5.1 only 2 with hdmi?

does anyone know if that is the case with Sky HD?
I thought the hdmi would give 5.1

does anyone know if that is the case with Sky HD?
I thought the hdmi would give 5.1
Hi I bought this system from Richersounds a few days back, it replaced a Panasonic DVD home cinema system which had died. So far very impressed, the active sub is a real room shaker if you let it go! The sound from the main speakers is a lot smother sounding than the Panasonic. Had a few issues getting Dts master or DD over HDMI out of my Sony 570 Blur Ray player, but that was a setting on the player.

RE: Sky

The sky hd box does not output DD5.1 over HDMI. To get DD5.1 you will need to connect either a optical or coaxial cable to the S5405, there are two menu settings to change to get the DD sound. One is on the "Digital Audio" setting, change to optical 1 if the optical cable is plugged into that. Then you need to go into "Source Setup" and change the "Audio Selector" to "Optical" this will produce a DD logo on the display of the S5405 when DD sound is been transmitted.

The 4 source on the S5405 are completely independent and you can have either optical, coax or HDMI for the sound.

SimonR

SimonR

Cheers mate, i'm about to order either this set or the Denon DHT1311XP i just cant make up mind :confused:

Hi I bought this system from Richersounds a few days back, it replaced a Panasonic DVD home cinema system which had died. So far very impressed, the active sub is a real room shaker if you let it go! The sound from the main speakers is a lot smother sounding than the Panasonic. Had a few issues getting Dts master or DD over HDMI out of my Sony 570 Blur Ray player, but that was a setting on the player.

RE: Sky

The 4 source on the S5405 are completely independent and you can have either optical, coax or HDMI for the sound.

SimonR

Nice to finally have someone in the thread who already owns the system! Mind if I add your Sky bit to the OP?

That's great news. I had a play with one in richersounds in Newcastle. Really like the sound. However looks wise its a bit of a chunk with 1980's nissan micra clock face :p lol.
Going to wait till I move house. Which hopefully won't be long. Then take the plunge.

Got this myself at the start of the month currently have my PC and sky box plugged into it via hdmi and yes the sky box wont do 5.1 over hdmi. My pc is connected via hdmi and I have the audio going over that as well.

Sounds great out of the box sounds even better once the setup has been run.

Got this myself at the start of the month currently have my PC and sky box plugged into it via hdmi and yes the sky box wont do 5.1 over hdmi. My pc is connected via hdmi and I have the audio going over that as well.

Sounds great out of the box sounds even better once the setup has been run.

Using the PC over HDMI, is the system at all fussy about what resolutions it will pass through? At the moment I have the PC hooked up to a (relatively) old Sony LCD that's 720p/1080i, and I have to use some weird resolutions to get a display!

I purchased the kit from Richer Sounds about a month ago. Bought it for £400 and it went down to £360, which RS kindly refunded. I was going to get a soundbar initially, but so glad I took the plunge with this!

It's my first home cinema kit and I am delighted with the quality. The active sub is a beast and looks quite mean! Speaker quality is crisp.

I have it connected to a Panasonic 50" G20, MacMini (media centre), Xbox 360 and Panasonic BD-65 BlueRay. All inputs work with dolby/dts etc with proper surround sound.

I also got some speaker mounts for the rears. Just need an all in one remote control now. Any suggestions? Thinking about a lower model logitech.

I'm tempted with this. Anyone had a go with the iPod connection? I'll be using it for my music too.

You can plug your iPod in to the front via USB or get an Onkyo specific iPod dock. I have used neither so can't comment.
I use iTunes via a MacMini for all my music.
If you have a RicherSounds near you they will set up and allow you to have a play with it.

With regards to the harmony issue I mentioned in the first post, anyone know what the receiver in this is based on? The model is HT-R548 but that doesn't come up as an individual receiver on the Onkyo website. perhaps for harmony it would be easiest to just add the model that the receiver is based on?

Need urgant help.

I just picked up one of these systems and the sub woofer has a frence ( seems to be ) plug on it. But there was no adapter in the box. My question is

What size fuse does the Sub Woofer need

Can i cut the plug off and wire on a UK standard plug?

Well I joined the onkyo club yesterday. Replaced my 18mth old Sony amp which just stopped working.

Very impressed with the 5405. Nice having an active sub and finally seeing the dts hd light on the amp. After only ever having a LPCM amp before.

Got me one of these a few days back and its my first home cinema that Ive had. Got to say I love it, the sound is fantastic and movies sound brilliant. I do however have a question. In my setup I have my media player, ps3 and sky hd all going into a splitter which then sends the hdmi signals to two tv's, one upstairs and the other downstairs. Obviously I dont want the amp on while watching tv upstairs so the only option is to use the splitters downstairs output for the Onkyo. This all works fine except for one thing, I cant think of a way to get the 5.1 sound from the sky hd. If I use the optical out I have to assign it to the HDMI which then means the ps3 and media player wont have the correct sound source. Anybody got any ideas?

I cant think of a way to get the 5.1 sound from the sky hd. If I use the optical out I have to assign it to the HDMI which then means the ps3 and media player wont have the correct sound source. Anybody got any ideas?

I don't understand the problem here.

The optical cable connected to your Sky box is assigned to the HDMI input on the Onkyo that is also connected to the Sky box, not to all HDMI inputs. Other devices are connected into the other HDMI inputs. So the Sky optical cable has no inpact on the sound from other devices.

HDMI out from the Onkyo to splitter, then off to the two TVs.

Onkyo passes through whichever HDMI input was active when it's put into standby (assuming it does that), so doesn't need to be on when you're upstairs.

Sorted, yes?

Got me one of these a few days back and its my first home cinema that Ive had. Got to say I love it, the sound is fantastic and movies sound brilliant. I do however have a question. In my setup I have my media player, ps3 and sky hd all going into a splitter which then sends the hdmi signals to two tv's, one upstairs and the other downstairs. Obviously I dont want the amp on while watching tv upstairs so the only option is to use the splitters downstairs output for the Onkyo. This all works fine except for one thing, I cant think of a way to get the 5.1 sound from the sky hd. If I use the optical out I have to assign it to the HDMI which then means the ps3 and media player wont have the correct sound source. Anybody got any ideas?

Are you saying that you have all your components connected into 1 HDMI port? Only thing is can think of if so is a splitter for each device, meaning you could set up the audio separately by having each component plugged into its own HDMI?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom