ONKYO HT-S3305B vs Sony BDVE370

TehJumpingJawa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I realize comparing these two systems is rather like comparing apples to oranges, however they are both currently available for around the same price. (Onkyo from Pixmania, and the Sony from Harrods of all places!)

Obviously with the Sony i'm getting a (rather good) BR player, however I think the connectivity that i'm sacrificing makes it unsuitable for my needs. Am I correct?

Additional equipment I will want to use in conjunction with the system includes:
-A Samsung LE40A559 40'' 1080P TV (Has 3xHDMI inputs, optical, & stereo phono jacks)
-A Toshiba EP-30 HD-DVD player
-An XBox 360 (via HDMI)
-Possibly in the future a BR player, Freeview HD/PVR, and/or a HTPC.

So, how would connecting all this stuff work with the 2 respective systems? (in particular the Sony)

Also, which of the 2 respective systems produces the better sound? (reviews indicate the Sony's bass is flawed)

Alternatively, are there any other Home Cinema Systems I should be considering? (budget ~£250)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi,

I realize comparing these two systems is rather like comparing apples to oranges, however they are both currently available for around the same price. (Onkyo from Pixmania, and the Sony from Harrods of all places!)

Obviously with the Sony i'm getting a (rather good) BR player, however I think the connectivity that i'm sacrificing makes it unsuitable for my needs. Am I correct?

Additional equipment I will want to use in conjunction with the system includes:
-A Samsung LE40A559 40'' 1080P TV (Has 3xHDMI inputs, optical, & stereo phono jacks)
-A Toshiba EP-30 HD-DVD player
-An XBox 360 (via HDMI)
-Possibly in the future a BR player, Freeview HD/PVR, and/or a HTPC.

So, how would connecting all this stuff work with the 2 respective systems? (in particular the Sony)

Also, which of the 2 respective systems produces the better sound? (reviews indicate the Sony's bass is flawed)

Alternatively, are there any other Home Cinema Systems I should be considering? (budget ~£250)

Cheers!

the sony is out of stock at harrods, also you couldn't claim the VAT back as they aren't participating in the offer. I'd go for the onkyo myself and don't get it from pixmania as it's out of stock too and they are plain pants, get richer sounds to price match it if you have one close to you.

the sony is out of stock at harrods, also you couldn't claim the VAT back as they aren't participating in the offer. I'd go for the onkyo myself and don't get it from pixmania as it's out of stock too and they are plain pants, get richer sounds to price match it if you have one close to you.

Thanks for the reply, I am aware of the stock issues and the limitations upon the applicability of the VAT promotion.

In this instance I was seeking advice regarding product suitability, rather than advice on where I should be buying from.

Thanks for the reply, I am aware of the stock issues and the limitations upon the applicability of the VAT promotion.

In this instance I was seeking advice regarding product suitability, rather than advice on where I should be buying from.

That's cool.

The sony only has 1 hdmi, the onkyo has 3 iirc. I would imagine (and someone will probably confirm this) that you would need some kind of hdmi switch to be able to run mutliple things through it, if at all?

The onkyo would be best suited if you're looking to run the x box and other things through it.

What about the Pioneer HTP-600? (currently £250 @ RicherSound)

How does it fair in comparison to the Onkyo?

Is it HDMI 1.4a compliant?
I've read here that it doesn't include support for '3D sound'. What are the implications of this?

I wouldn't put too much importance on the fact that it's not 1.4a compliant -
is your TV 3D compatible?
do you have a 3D source?
Movies out on 3D that you'd like to watch at home?

Not sure how it sounds, but it sure looks pretty :)

I have heard the Onkyo - it sounds good for the money.

Not sure about the Sony.

I wouldn't put too much importance on the fact that it's not 1.4a compliant -
is your TV 3D compatible?
do you have a 3D source?
Movies out on 3D that you'd like to watch at home?

Not sure how it sounds, but it sure looks pretty :)

I have heard the Onkyo - it sounds good for the money.

Not sure about the Sony.

If it doesn't cost me any extra, there's no harm in future proofing :smashin:

I'm sure i'll eventually get around to buying a bluray player, and when I do it's certain to be 3d capable.
Same goes for my TV; when it, or it's backlight, dies it's sure to be replaced with a 3d capable one.
By that time i'm sure films will be more readily available in 3d form.

Anyhow - i've seen on hukd that one person said they have a 3d tv, 3d player, and a Pioneer HTP-600 and have had no problems.
Surely if the receiver isn't HDMI 1.4 compatible, that should be impossible, no?

The industry really isn't doing a very good job of abstracting the details away so consumers can just plug-and-play their equipment.

Hell, I have a degree in a related field, have worked in software dev. for 8 years, and built my own PCs since my trusty DX2/66.
Yet i'm still having to come to a forum to ask 'how the hell does it all work' lol!

How on earth are older folk, or non-techy (normal) people supposed to know whether what they're buying is:
a) what they need
b) any good

If it doesn't cost me any extra, there's no harm in future proofing :smashin:

I'm sure i'll eventually get around to buying a bluray player, and when I do it's certain to be 3d capable.
Same goes for my TV; when it, or it's backlight, dies it's sure to be replaced with a 3d capable one.
By that time i'm sure films will be more readily available in 3d form.

Anyhow - i've seen on hukd that one person said they have a 3d tv, 3d player, and a Pioneer HTP-600 and have had no problems.
Surely if the receiver isn't HDMI 1.4 compatible, that should be impossible, no?

The industry really isn't doing a very good job of abstracting the details away so consumers can just plug-and-play their equipment.

Hell, I have a degree in a related field, have worked in software dev. for 8 years, and built my own PCs since my trusty DX2/66.
Yet i'm still having to come to a forum to ask 'how the hell does it all work' lol!

How on earth are older folk, or non-techy (normal) people supposed to know whether what they're buying is:
a) what they need
b) any good

looking at wikipedia, you can still do 3d over 1.3, however it will be at 1080i instead of 1080p, the only exceptions being a ps3 and pc graphics card which can do it at 1080p.

I have C&P'd the bit from wiki about hdmi 1.4:

HDMI 1.4 was released on May 28, 2009, and the first HDMI 1.4 products were available in the second half of 2009. HDMI 1.4 increases the maximum resolution to 4K × 2K (3840×2160p at 24 Hz/25 Hz/30 Hz and 4096×2160p at 24 Hz, which is a resolution used with digital theaters); an HDMI Ethernet Channel, which allows for a 100 Ethernet connection between the two HDMI connected devices; and introduces an Audio Return Channel, 3D Over HDMI (most HDMI 1.3 devices will only support this for 1080 exceptions include graphics cards in computers and the PS3), a new Micro HDMI Connector, expanded support for color spaces, and an Automotive Connection System. HDMI 1.4 supports several formats including field alternative (interlaced), frame packing (a full resolution top-bottom format), line alternative full, side-by-side half, side-by-side full, 2D + depth and 2D + depth + graphics + graphics depth (WOWvx) with additional top/bottom formats added in version 1.4a . HDMI 1.4 requires that 3D displays support the frame packing 3D format at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24. High Speed HDMI 1.3 cables can support all HDMI 1.4 features except for the HDMI Ethernet Channel. HDMI 1.4a was released on March 4, 2010 and adds two additional mandatory 3D formats for broadcast content, which was deferred with HDMI 1.4 in order to see the direction of the 3D broadcast market. HDMI 1.4a has defined mandatory 3D formats for broadcast, game, and movie content. HDMI 1.4a requires that 3D displays support the frame packing 3D format at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24, side-by-side horizontal at either 1080i50 or 1080i60, and top-and-bottom at either 720p50 and 1080p24 or 720p60 and 1080p24.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still unsure whether the HTP600 is HDMI 1.3 or 1.4.

- Found one review saying it doesn't do '3d sound'; however i'm not entirely sure as to what that refers to.
- Found one individual claiming it works fine with their 3d tv & player.
- Found a thread on here comparing this model to something else, and one of the points of comparison was that they were both HDMI 1.4
- The Pioneer documentation is useless; it makes no mention of which HDMI specification it conforms to.

I'll ask in Richer Sound when I go to pick it up, they should know.

I'm still unsure whether the HTP600 is HDMI 1.3 or 1.4.

- Found one review saying it doesn't do '3d sound'; however i'm not entirely sure as to what that refers to.

No such thing, when a receiver is 3d ready they mean picture wise, reviewer doesn't know what he is talking about

- Found one individual claiming it works fine with their 3d tv & player.

As per my above post, it will work but the picture will be 1080i not 1080p if using 1.3

- Found a thread on here comparing this model to something else, and one of the points of comparison was that they were both HDMI 1.4
- The Pioneer documentation is useless; it makes no mention of which HDMI specification it conforms to.

Looking on the pioneer site, and the fact it doesn't mention 3d at all, i would hazzard a guess that it's 1.3

I'll ask in Richer Sound when I go to pick it up, they should know.

Answers are in bold :)

Ref: richer sounds, just have a look on the box as if it's 1.4 it'll say on the box.

Last edited:
Hmm; if it is 1.3 i'm again in a conundrum as to what to go for.

The word is that fresh stock for the ONKYO HT-S3305B is due into the UK soon; ofcourse whether any of these will filter through to stores in time for xmas is another matter. (This rumour is based off nothing more than some guy on this forum in the middle of November saying that stock was expected within 4 weeks)

Purely from the perspective of surround sound quality I'd love to know which is the better piece of kit; ONKYO HT-S3305B, or the Pioneer HTP600.
There are very few (if any?!) comparisons between the two; which is understandable as they would ordinarily be in different price brackets. (ONKYO ~£250, Pioneer ~£350).
However as it stands they're both approx. the same price. =|

Does the £100 higher price tag that the Pioneer would ordinarily command equate to a better piece of kit? or is it purely a brand premium?

Ah, hell I'm probably not enough of an audiophile to be able to tell the difference anyway.
I'll let the guy in Richer Sounds decide for me =)

Thanks for all the help.

Ended up going for the Pioneer HTP600 for £239.99. (£10 discount voucher for joining the 'VIP Lounge')

Will find out whether it's to my satisfaction come christmas =]

In case you end up not liking it, amazon have the onkyo s5305 for £280 delivered :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom