Onkyo HT-R494 and LG C9

Treize

Novice Member
Hello,

I'm new to the home theatre setup and recently purchased the Onkyo HT-S5800 package which comes with the HT-R494 receiver. I'm having trouble getting sound to work from my TV to the Onkyo system.

The TV is set to use ARC (set to auto) and eARC is set to off. If I set the the receiver to use ARC, the receiver freezes up and no sound comes through. Even after unplugging the receiver's power and plugging it back in, it will play no sound and freeze up again within a few seconds of powering on.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a known incompatible device or if the issue is with the TV or with the receiver.

Has anyone encountered this issue before or have any troubleshooting tips? Happy to provide any additional information. Thanks!

next010

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately it seems there are no firmware updates available for the HT-R494 so compatibility issues can only be resolved by LG's side.

You could try disabling ultra deep colour support on the TV which will disable 4K 60hz HDR support and see if that makes a difference in treating the AVR as an older generation device.

Alternatively try connecting via optical instead of ARC and run the LG universal remote setup, see if the Onkyo profiles LG have can control the AVR with the magic remote.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom