Onkyo HT-5305 powered sub woofer popping.

T

tebo53

hi, I have recently purchased an Onkyo HT-5305 AV receiver complete with Onkyo speaker kit. I've set everything according to the book and it sounds really good and I'm happy with it. My only problem is that when there is a quiet period in the film or on telly the bass woofer keeps making a loud 'popping' sound, when the bass picks up in the audio it's perfect untill the next quiet period. I'd appreciate any help!
SKW-538 Bass Reflex Powered Subwoofer
• 16 cm Cone
• Max. Output Power: 150 W (Dynamic power)
• Down-Firing

I have just recieved the same kit and am in the exact same position.

In addition to the above, I have also noticed that when the Sub starts to 'pop', the LED power indicator at the back turns from blue to red and quickly back to blue again, in time with the pops. The light will then turn red for a while and the pops will stop (and there will be no bass).

Any help would be most appreciated!

Exactly the same here but last night it did it more times than before and realy annoying.
The light is blue and when it does it it flashes red, it usualy does it arround 8 times in succession untill it finaly stays red.

It goes "click thump" 8 ish times then when it finaly switches off it just goes click.
Then when it wakes up again it does the same again, its doing my head in.

I have the amp sub level up full 12dB the bass up full and controll the bass level with the sub control but it makes no difference it still goes "click thump"

I'm thinking theres a fault with the subs it would be better if it waited 30 mins before switching off, instead of being in a hurry I mean it doesn't use that much power.

Jon

Hi,

I have contacted the company I bought the system from (Peter Tyson) and have arranged for them to pick up the subwoofer this week for testing. I tried all combinations of settings from full bass and all crossover settings and nothing made a difference. I'll let you know what their results are after they've tested it. Which may take a week or two.
Cheers for now.

I look forward to finding out whats going on its begining to look like it's common with these sub woofers.
It may be that there's a common fault and its only going to be sorted if owners shout about it

Hi. Im also a new member with the same system purchased from Peter Tyson. I sent mine back to them for testing and have received it back today. Still has the same issue as they said it worked perfectly for them! In slightly quieter scenes i can feel the sub cone working but it starts popping/clicking randomly and it is really anoying.
I phoned them back to say the fault still persists but they dont beleive its the ampbut said i could send that back also for testing but they charge £15 if they find no fault.
I hoe someone has an idea of what to do but it does sound like an issue with this system?

Just to add a small amount to the thread. I have contacted Gemserve who are collecting my sub tomorrow and they say its a common fault with the fix being a couple of ressistors which take the auto on/off from 10 seconds to 10 minutes.
Hope mine comes back sorted.

Anyone had a satisfactory result?
I'm going to ring gemserve tomorrow to see what they say.

hi, They have had mine for a week and not heard anything yet! Will let you know as soon as i get it back and tested it for a day.

Genserve have had mine for two weeks and I've heard nothing yet...will chase them in a couple of days time.

I have had my system for about 6 weeks and you can now add mine to the list woofer started popping last night also purchased from peter tyson looks like I will be on the phone tomorow :(

Mine leaves for Genserve on monday 27th hope it gets cured

I had exactly this problem. Left for Genserv on the 20th, I called them on the 27th and it was ready to come back, arrived today (28th) and works just fine now.

Just found this thread

I had this problem a while back now,

The same thing, and Peter Tyson had it back twice saying no fault found

They said I was the only one that was complaining about it to them and tried charging me to re deliver it as there was no fault

Go straight to Genserve, they new exactly what the fault was and fixed it within 4 days

that was over a month ago i think and never had a problem since

Hope it helps

Mine came back from Genserve this morning and I've been using it from about 2pm and I haven't had a problem :smashin:
:clap::arty:It usually starts messing about as soon as its switched on

Hi all who have replied to my thread.
Finally got my subwoofer back and it works!!:clap:
Tysons had genserve repair it and it's been perfect so far.
So anyone who suffering with the popping problem, the solution is to send it back to where you bought it from for repair.

Thanks to all. Tebo53

Mine has come back from Genserve as well and is a lot better than it was....still get the occasional "popping" if there is little or no sound for a few minutes but it's definitely an improvement.

Hi folks,
I was considering buying one of these onkyo 5305 units.
Has this sub-woofer popping situation been well and truely resolved now or is it still an on-going issue?

thanks in advance for your input

Hi, I don't know if Onkyo have sorted the popping prob or not. But I've not had any probs since the repair. Cheers Tebo53

Hi, I don't know if Onkyo have sorted the popping prob or not. But I've not had any probs since the repair. Cheers Tebo53

same here, though you would hope they've solved it by now but who knows

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom