Onkyo HT-380 no sound from front speakers, googling the hell out of it!

dangerousdownin

Standard Member
I've had my Onkyo HT-380 for many many years and I'm now wondering if I've ever had the 5.1 working correctly. I just can't get any sound from the front left & right speakers.
The AV is set to 'A' and wired into the 'A' grouped connectors at the back.
I've noticed that it displays PCM on screen which doesn't seem right.
I've tried different sound modes and nothing - all channel, mono, etc.
My kit plugged into it has really slimmed down now and I have just a Humax 1010S freesat receiver and a Roku Streaming stick plus and I don't use the TV's built in tuner.
I've checked the Roku and Humax and both are enabled for multichannel in their audio settings.
All external devices connect via HDMI
I've been using a 5.1 test on youtube via the Roku for the testing.
Seems like I'm missing something, but don't know what. Read about older serial numbers and a firmware issue, but mine ends with an 'E'.

Any help much appreciated
Thanks

dangerousdownin

Standard Member
surely if it was set to All Channel Stereo, that should put sound out of the front left & right too?
I'm getting nothing out of them on any of the modes.

spiderman01

I have got the same system and I have also had it for many years. This week the system seemed weaker and I realised that the front left and right speakers weren't working. I swaped the front speakers to the rear and they worked. So I knew the speakers were ok. I think the system is not sending sound through the front channels and the problem is a relay issue (you can hear the "clicks" when the listening modes change and/or sources change. I have opened the AV reciever, cleaned it, but still nothing. Do a test to check if the front channels are working: with the remote, press setup and then go to Level Cal: here you should hear a buzz when you go to the left and right options. Report back.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom