Question Onkyo HDMI Out Port Issue?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RhinoE123, Aug 10, 2018.

1. RhinoE123

RhinoE123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all , new here, hope this is the right section to post this query.

Main question:
    Do Onkyo Amps temporarily cut off the HDMI Out port when power surge/spike are noticed?

The details:
    I have Sky+HD and Xbox One into the relevant CBL/STB and Game HDMI inputs, the HDMI output is a 15m long HDMI cable routed through the wall around the room to the wall mounted Samsung UE48JU6400 TV.
    On occasion when other devices in the house, regardless of room (lights, fridge, phone chargers, oven, upstairs, downstairs) are switched on/off the picture will cut out leaving a "no signal" message on the TV for a few seconds. Then the picture will return. The same thing happened on my old Onkyo amp (HTR-390) and my new one (TX-L50).

Using ARC from the TV back to the Onkyo, the picture remains but it is the sound the drops.

We had a storm last night (thunder/lightning) and the picture kept dropping every 10 to 15 seconds so that was obviously having an impact as well.

Searching the internet everyone seems to point out it's probably the HDMI cable, but I am very reluctant to believe this as if I connect the SKy+HD box or the Xbox One direct to the TV using the same cable there are no such drop outs occur.

I have also got a CAT5 cable running through the same route (not connected to anything), however if I use HDMI to CAT5 converter at each end (Onkyo and TV end) therefore not using the 15m HDMI cable, the same cut out issue occurs.

This is what leads me to believe it is an issue with the Amp auto switching off the output port when surge/spike are noticed.

Any ideas? If I'm right, what can be done to resolve? I don't think it is something I can send it back to Onkyo for to fix as it did the same on both Amps, leading me to believe it is a purpose built safety feature.

2. RhinoE123

RhinoE123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Pic attached to assist.

Worth noting that I have now switched off ARC and have an Optical cable running from TV to Onkyo so at least I do not have the issue now when watching via Apps on the TV (Netflix etc.)

Attached Files: