• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo HDMI board / questions

Djsajmy

Standard Member
My Onkyo TX-NR616 failed again!

Did they change / redesigned the new HDMI board?
The replaced one was the same as the old one but can't see any difference.
It's going now back (out of warranty) but they are still going to replace the board for free.

My question is: Are the boards a new revision without the DTS chip problems? Don't want it to fail again on me because it's getting anoying :)

gunnerjim

Standard Member
I got mine back 2 weeks ago after having the same problem. It now works fine and they have increased the warranty to 2018.

Djsajmy

Standard Member
I got mine back 2 weeks ago after having the same problem. It now works fine and they have increased the warranty to 2018.

The warranty is only 6 month for the unit after they changed the HDMI board. And I don't think they are going to replace it the 3rd time it dies.

qxy63

Standard Member
I have owned a TX-NR609 for about 4 years and can best describe it's performance as flaky. Sometimes it won't recognise the BluRay, HDMI-thru is temperamental and other annoyances. About 2 weeks ago the sound and network finally went belly up and the unit went back to Onkyo to be repaired under the customer care program. A week later it came back, I set it all up and tested it, sound and vision on BluRay, pc and Pvr, sound ok on the iPod.

On Friday evening I set up the HDMI-thru, Saturday morning it didn't work. In fact no device were being detected. Full reset, devices detected. So I did a full Audyssey set up of the speakers. Sunday, decided to listen to some music, zone 1 OK, nothing from zone 2 speakers. Checked everything, volume output was on 70+ but still nothing, full reset.

It's got to the point where I've had enough of this heap of junk, I guess that I got the one built on Christmas Eve. Onkyo were offering £110 trade in on the duff units, is there another Onkyo under £400 worth looking at?

I don't need a high spec unit, just have a normal tv and 7 speakers that are doing nothing. I do like the zone 2 feature. Anyone care to recommend another receiver around the £400 mark?

With thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom