Onkyo have gone bankrupt

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a few onkyo receivers over the years and I know they have been a pretty big name in the av world up til now but they’ve gone bust.

They weren’t really competitive any more for my requirements but it is always a shame when there is less competition as the manufacturers left can start to do what they like with pricing etc.

Last edited:
Sad news. I had an onkyo a few years back and wouldn't power on. Managed to get a refund under warranty and replaced it with denon

hope they manage to stay in the game. rumours were they were getting dIRAC next year

hope they manage to stay in the game. rumours were they were getting dIRAC next year
Both Onkyo and Pioneer audio visual are now part of the Voxx International Group and they retain the brand names. It's a totally different part of the old Onkyo group that's gone bust as what we are interested in was sold to Voxx in September of last year.

In Europe both Onkyo and Pioneer audio visual products will be handled by Aqipa of Germany.

Onkyo had been in existence since 1946, but they are no more - having filed for bankruptcy.

Businesses comprise a collection of assets which are separate from the companies that own them. So while a company may go under, its businesses/assets may be sold to another party to continue trading. This is not illegal or dodgy in any way, it's just what happens when companies fail.

FYI, Aston Martin has gone bust no less than 7 times in its 109 year history.

I'm not too surprised about this news and yes, there will always be other Companies waiting to buy Onkyo's best assets. What I find incredibly sad though is that the last two reviews for speakers that I have read about (in the last few days) was for Mission 770's (£3,500) and Magico A1 speakers (£11,000).
My guess is that under 5% of Forum Members would be inclined to want to part with that kind of money (especially in the current financial climate). Obviously anybody who is willing to pay that sort of money would pay an equal amount for electronics to power the speakers thereby doubling the outlay (at least).
Gregory

It's funny with Onkyo, they were one of the largest OEM companies selling speakers and other electronics which we have either heard or owned without knowing. I remember that they made some premium speakers which were used in cars for years (cannot remember which brand, but I remember it being high end and the name wasn't who I expect it to be on the speaker badge). They've also been in some very popular brands which we wouldn't even know about. A popular wireless speaker used to use their components many years ago (or at least that's what I was told which I know of), So I suspect their legacy of hidden components will always stay hidden

It's also a shame that the OEM side has gone as it was that side of the business that forced the industry to wake up (within the AV Sector) and get better as they made their own stuff and it was quite good (give or take a massive failure). Denon and Marantz took quite a while to wake up where brands like Arcam had to wake up and catch up quickly as the 875 and 905 were frighteningly powerful beasts making the AVR280 and AVR350 look positively prehistoric

They changed the AV market forever. I guess the down side is that they also made the models turn over a lot faster to and who knows if we'll return to a two to three year model cycle

Never forgot that those early models you could also fry an egg on top and the rep telling me they'd solved the issue with the new model. When I asked what they'd done, he said they'd put a fan in it :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom