Question Onkyo Error Code: lcrslSrblbr

Jmarti41

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help before I lose my mind. Purchased an Onkyo receiver TX SR393 two months ago. I run a simple 3.1 system using my Polk S55 speakers and PSW10 sub. No issues at all for two months then today, I decide to move my sub away from the corner of my room, closer to the receiver as Dolby suggest and space my two fronts out further. Again no issues this morning then my receiver shuts down while I'm connected to Bluetooth. Turn it on and I get the error above. I clear the code ,turn off, unplug everything and disconnect everything and wait. I turn it back on, it runs diagnostic, and same error. This happened several times. Call Onkyo customer care, they have me reset it, it clears the code and takes me to initial setup. I think I'm on my way but when it gets to test tones for the speakers, I now get no sound. They suggest taking it in for repairs under warranty. Closest Onkyo service center is 70 miles away.

Any thoughts before I take a road trip?

that's disappointing to see as I was considering getting one of these. whilst researching this receiver the only problems I had seen that some owners had was the amps blowing and a recall due to issues with HDMI ports. Can I ask you what you thoughts were on the receiver prior to having this issue?

just wanted to let you know that there is another avforums thread re the NR 686 and the same error code which you have got.

from that thread:
It’s in protection mode, you need to determine the error

To check protection mode: what kind of protection it belongs to when NG channel is displayed such:
NG:LCRSLSRBLBR
NG__CH:LCRSLSRBLBR
1.Press the Enter button
2.Protect cause are displayed for 5 seconds.
DET.PROTECT:I(overcurrent)
DET.PROTECT:V(dc detected)

Thanks for the reply. I was enjoying everything about the receiver before the error code and eventual service call. Hopefully I'll get some feedback on what actually went wrong this week and I'll report back.

yours doesnt seem to bean isolated incident. I was interested in this receiver too but after doing a bit of research about that error I found many others who have had the same problem. there are even YouTube videos on how to fix it. It involves replacing capacitors. Some owners have alsohas multiple amp failures so Ive bought a Pioneer VSX 934instead which by sall accountsrun cold not hot like the Denon and Onkyo's. So whilst Onkyo, Denon and Pioneer are all owned by the same group but I'm hoping that the manufacturing process for the pioneer will be better so I wont encounter any problems.

I wanted to post here for posterity. This AMP is great but has a fatal design flaw, I'm talking about TX-SR393 same as the first revisions of the TX-NR696. They do not have a FAN, but they require it to operate properly.

Mine worked fine for like 6 months. After that period I've started getting the AMP Diag mode and then the error show up was "Check Speaker Connection". Coming from a hardware reviews magazine with everything related to cooling and overclocking I instantly suspected that it was overheating.

Touching the top panel does seem hot but not hot enough to require a FAN, I'm suspecting that Onkyo thought about the same without testing it for long periods of time. I know they have the circuitry for the FAN because I can hear the switch clicking on when I turn up the volume to high levels, but since the FAN is not there, there is nothing to cool the circuit down.

I've used a couple of Noctua FANs, which are the best FANs in the market for this uses. I've purchased the NF-A12x25 PWM 5V revision with the USB adapter. I've used the big hole for the power cable to output the cables for both FANs and used the USB connector for both FANs who will take less than half of the max output wattage that the Amplifier accepts.

As soon as the AMP is on, both FANs will come on, using the USB power.

I cannot state enough how much cool the AMP is now. Measuring temperature with an infrared meter shows that before FAN installment, the circuitry around the decoders (HDMI board) was averanging 50 degrees celcius (with a 24 degrees celcius ambient temp). And the AMP section was around 47 degrees.

With 2 x 120mm Noctua FANS running in low power mode (AMP is dead silent, since these FANs are designed by a company absolutely devoted to performance in a silent environment). The temperature is now at 38 degrees on the decoder PCB and just 34 degrees celcius on the AMP.

Suffice to say that my observations and intuition were correct. I can now turn up the volume as much as I want and the AMP Diag mode warning never showed up again, not even once.

My new Onkyo TX-NR696 is gonna get the Noctua treatment now.

If you are interested in how I did it, I can post pictures. Since Noctua provides the holders for the FANs in silicon material, they can be inserted using the holes already in place without having to drill anything. Since the USB adapter and cables can fit through the power cable hole, you don't have to hole anything and since the USB output is more than enough for both FANs at full speed, there is no risk involved at all.

They should equip their equipment with Noctua FANs.

My new TX-NR696 is now equiped with a FAN (they seem to upgrade the current amps with a FAN, quietly without raising suspicion that overheating IS INDEED an issue) but I do not agree with their current implementation. The FAN only turns on when AMP is quite high in power output and anything mid to low leaves the AMP generating heat to no end.

Sorry Onkyo but I'm gonna remove your new FAN and replace it with the new Noctua duet.

More people should be aware that current AMPs generate heat past the safety limit, not having a FAN and not having any error does not mean the AMP is working below specs. I know that electronics are sensitive to heat and companies are not taking this seriously. They may not be PCs but I have the evidence all over the place. These AMPs needs a permanent FAN. Anything below 700 RPM speed is dead silent and could extend the lifespam of the AMP several years, or even a decade.

I wanted to post here for posterity. This AMP is great but has a fatal design flaw, I'm talking about TX-SR393 same as the first revisions of the TX-NR696. They do not have a FAN, but they require it to operate properly.

Mine worked fine for like 6 months. After that period I've started getting the AMP Diag mode and then the error show up was "Check Speaker Connection". Coming from a hardware reviews magazine with everything related to cooling and overclocking I instantly suspected that it was overheating.

Touching the top panel does seem hot but not hot enough to require a FAN, I'm suspecting that Onkyo thought about the same without testing it for long periods of time. I know they have the circuitry for the FAN because I can hear the switch clicking on when I turn up the volume to high levels, but since the FAN is not there, there is nothing to cool the circuit down.

I've used a couple of Noctua FANs, which are the best FANs in the market for this uses. I've purchased the NF-A12x25 PWM 5V revision with the USB adapter. I've used the big hole for the power cable to output the cables for both FANs and used the USB connector for both FANs who will take less than half of the max output wattage that the Amplifier accepts.

As soon as the AMP is on, both FANs will come on, using the USB power.

I cannot state enough how much cool the AMP is now. Measuring temperature with an infrared meter shows that before FAN installment, the circuitry around the decoders (HDMI board) was averanging 50 degrees celcius (with a 24 degrees celcius ambient temp). And the AMP section was around 47 degrees.

With 2 x 120mm Noctua FANS running in low power mode (AMP is dead silent, since these FANs are designed by a company absolutely devoted to performance in a silent environment). The temperature is now at 38 degrees on the decoder PCB and just 34 degrees celcius on the AMP.

Suffice to say that my observations and intuition were correct. I can now turn up the volume as much as I want and the AMP Diag mode warning never showed up again, not even once.

My new Onkyo TX-NR696 is gonna get the Noctua treatment now.

If you are interested in how I did it, I can post pictures. Since Noctua provides the holders for the FANs in silicon material, they can be inserted using the holes already in place without having to drill anything. Since the USB adapter and cables can fit through the power cable hole, you don't have to hole anything and since the USB output is more than enough for both FANs at full speed, there is no risk involved at all.

They should equip their equipment with Noctua FANs.

My new TX-NR696 is now equiped with a FAN (they seem to upgrade the current amps with a FAN, quietly without raising suspicion that overheating IS INDEED an issue) but I do not agree with their current implementation. The FAN only turns on when AMP is quite high in power output and anything mid to low leaves the AMP generating heat to no end.

Sorry Onkyo but I'm gonna remove your new FAN and replace it with the new Noctua duet.

More people should be aware that current AMPs generate heat past the safety limit, not having a FAN and not having any error does not mean the AMP is working below specs. I know that electronics are sensitive to heat and companies are not taking this seriously. They may not be PCs but I have the evidence all over the place. These AMPs needs a permanent FAN. Anything below 700 RPM speed is dead silent and could extend the lifespam of the AMP several years, or even a decade.
yea i read lots of owners complaining about their amps developing faults which iswhy i steered clear of buying one f those.

I can absolutely say for sure that these AMPs will be rock solid for generations if you apply FANs to it. It's a simple matter of law of thermals. It's not the AMP, it's the company neglecting to cool them down properly.
I will continue to buy Onkyo AMPs because honestly, they are great, but I will install a new Noctua FAN to them as soon as I take them out of the BOX. It's super easy to do.

well I ended up buying a pioneer instead and Onkyo bought them out and thier support sucks. they never respond to support tickets and I wasnt even able to register the Avr for its warranty either so in future ill be sticking with either Yamaha or Denon

I understand. Well, I think no company is free from this. Just to be sure, purchase a thermal sensor and meassure the temperature inside. I would go for no more than 40 degrees celcius. Even when other companies can fix their thermal limit higher, it is still overheating. I will consider this variable for any AMP in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom