Onkyo DV-SP406, Samsung DVD-HD870, Toshiba XD-E500

nevermore80

Standard Member
Reaction score
Trying do decide between these three players....

The toshiba - one things ive heard on this player is that it will only display 4:3 stretched to 16:9 - is there any truth in this?

Is there a HUGE difference in picture quality between these three models? Or should i just see which one i can find cheapest?

Or, is there another cheap upscaling DVD player out there that i may have over-looked?

Any advice always appriciated!

Or, is there another cheap upscaling DVD player out there that i may have over-looked?

You could always add the Sony DVP-NS708 to your shortlist.

I have a Toshiba SD580 but returning it and getting SP406. While the SD580 was excellent for the price, it is almost impossible to make it multi region. (i bought it from amazon)

You can either get one from Superfi which is already multi region, but at £5-6 more expensive the Onkyo seems to be the better option.

I haven't tried the Toshiba XDE500 though. but I didn't like the looks..LOL. Not sure why

Both got 5 from whathifi awards 2008 with the Onkyo being the best budget player under £100

The Sony mentioned above has the best design of them all imo.

i am after the 580 is it only the multi region problem why you are not keeping it
see i brought the tosh 42 xv555 and after a good player for it

i am after the 580 is it only the multi region problem why you are not keeping it
see i brought the tosh 42 xv555 and after a good player for it

yeah, but you can get it here MR. I didn't check before buying. and I thought it would be easy to hack but unfortunately it's not

TOSHIBA SD580E DVD PLAYER (MULTI-REGION) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4734 for details

I'm yet to decide between the Onkyo 406 or the Sony DVPNS708/78. The 406 isn't the best looking...lol

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom