Onkyo DV-S939 questions ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by xavierc, Apr 10, 2002.

1. xavierc

xavierc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a TX-DS898 receiver owner and I want to acquire a new DVD Player.
    I'm interesting about the DV-S939 Player but I have some questions to ask to Onkyo guys :

- what mean evolutive for Onkyo ?
    - do you upgrade the software player frequently ? Which is the last version ?
    - have you plan to replace it by the DV-SA1 in a near future ? When ?
    - will it be possible to upgrade the DV-S939 to SACD format ?

I think this player is a high-end CD, DVD-V and DVD-A music machine. Indeed I want do the best choice for my passion.

Xavier

2. xavierc

xavierc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you help me ?
    Any answers ???

Xavier

3. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be very surprised if it could ever be upgraded to SACD.

4. xavierc

xavierc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not ?

Denon put a new hardware upgrade for the AVC A1.
    Onkyo put a new hardware upgrade for the TX-DS 989 6 months ago.
    Yes its expensive. But you can or not upgrade, but you can...

Xavier

5. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are these not amplifier and a receiver? When they were launched the fact that they could be upgraded was a much mentioned selling point.

The upgrade for the AVC-A1 was planned into the design and even then there were limitations (ie the upgraded unit does not equal the specification of the new AVC-A1SR because it was not practical to modify much of the video circuitry).

I was not aware of a hardware upgrade for the Onkyo ... I could be wrong but I thought that it was a software upgrade, anyway it does not really matter.

I did not say that it was impossible but I certainly believe that it will be most unlikely that there will be an SACD upgrade. If there was an upgrade path there is no doubt that it would it would be mentioned in the sales literature.

Rather than wait I would suggest that you should purchase a dedicated SACD unit such as the Sony SCD-XA777ES ... I purchased one for Euro 2249 from www.computeruniverse.net in Germany.

6. xavierc

xavierc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm hesitating between DV-S939 and the Arcam FMJ 27.
    But I 'm really surprised by all the upgrade already done by Arcam.

Then I have two possibilities :
    The Arcam software is bad or not already finished and I appreciate the software stability from Onkyo.
    Or the Arcam software is always up to date to resolve each time new problem with the new DVDs...and I could have in future potential problem with Onkyo software

Have you an idea ?
    Does Onkyo satisfy you ? No problem with software ?

Xavier

7. Xevian

Xevian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an FMJ 27, It's a blinding DVD player! :) I'm using a Onkyo 898 as well they do seem to sit well together..

I was originaly looking at the Onkyo one, but I went for the Arcam in the end, It just seem to look better, I've only ever seen one player that looks better and thats the TagMclaren one, and they cost a whole lot more cash...

I havn't had any playback problems at all, and I have over 300 DVD's now. CD Playback is also really good, That said I havce more DVD's than CD's.. A DVD-A upgrade is promised by Arcam, but they don't really see the point at the moment due to the lack of DVD-A Discs.. Same goes for SACD, but there will never be an SACD upgrade for the FMJ, and I doubt for there will be one for the Onkyo as you need to have a Sony transport.