1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

onkyo+dolby--SHAME ON YOU

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by fontelas, Sep 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. fontelas

fontelas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DO YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS PLAYNG «LOTR» IN THE ONKYO 595???
    I HAVE SEEN LOTR REGION 2 FULL OF DROP OUTS.
    I DON´T KNOW WHO TO BLAME.
    ONE THING IS FOR SHORE....ONKYO AND BOLBY...NEVER AGAIN.
    PLEASE USE DTS IN DVDS.

REGARDS FROM PORTUGAL

P.S.
    SORRY ABOUT MY ENGLISH

2. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There have been problems with the LOTR DVD and Onkyo receivers because of some added features in the Dolby Digital soundtrack of this new release. Dolby added some new features and one of them is a flag to enable decoders to detect if the soundtrack has been EX encoded or not. This can cause incompatibility issues, causing drop-outs.

This is not really a fault of Dolby (the added features were all within specs) or Onkyo. It is a fault of the people who build the ICs that decode the Dolby Digital bitstream.

Dolby are working on it with the hardware manufacturers to solve the problem. In the mean time, you are best of listening to the 2-channel soundtrack.

3. msmorley

msmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm curious about this: R2 LOTR plays fine through my Onkyo TX-DS595... although it sounds much better with Cinema Re-Equalisation off.

After this issue became apparent (affecting Denon, Yamaha & Onkyo among others) Dolby requested that authors not use the EX flags to avoid such problems.

Given that this issue has been around for some time (IIRC JP3 and Pearl Harbor are among the culprits) I would be surprised (and disappointed) if LOTR had been mastered in such a fashion - so you may be experiencing a different issue.:confused:

Onkyo's response to this problem has been quite different to the other two companies, though. Whilst some sort of fix has been putatively mentioned, Onkyo owners have had to console themselves with the knowledge that the issue will be corrected with their next generation of receivers... wonderful... grrr...:mad:

m.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    With an attitude like that, who'd buy another Onkyo anyway.

5. msmorley

msmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's a pity because its a decent bit of kit... but they're not getting any of my cash in future. Hello Mr Denon... :)

m.

6. fontelas

fontelas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ATTENTION::::
    DENNON´S HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS

7. whmartin

whmartin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was recently looking in to buying an Onkyo 797, but hear do this Dolby EX problem. Onkyo only fix was to just watch the movie in Pro-Logic! Sure, we buy EX decoders, extra speakers, and encoded movies so we can go back and use the old technology? Not much of a solution to me….

But in checking out how widespread the issue was (in trying to decide to roll the dice on the Onkyo receiver), I called Dolby Labs in San Francisco directly. They assured me that this problem only affected three DVD’s. They had informed DVD makers to not use the EX flags until a solution to the compatibility issue could be worked out. But the issue with LOTR suggests that DVDs are still being made that are not compatible with the chipsets used in the Denons and Onkyos. I’ll probably shy away from the Onkyo at this time as this problem could become quite widespread in the future. Who knows how many more discs could be released.