• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo CS-515

mfurlonger

Standard Member
Hi all,

I am in two minds at the moment, and no, it's not drink induced:)

I am not sure to go for either the Onkyo CS-515 paired with MA BR2 speakers or to save up a little more and by a separates. If I was to do the later I would spend approx £500 on an amp and cd player leaving approx £200 for speakers. As the separates option would cost approx £300 more than the the Onkyo option, do you think there would be significant improvement to justifiy the extra spend?

Happy new year:thumbsup:

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I am in two minds at the moment, and no, it's not drink induced:)

I am not sure to go for either the Onkyo CS-515 paired with MA BR2 speakers or to save up a little more and by a separates. If I was to do the later I would spend approx £500 on an amp and cd player leaving approx £200 for speakers. As the separates option would cost approx £300 more than the the Onkyo option, do you think there would be significant improvement to justifiy the extra spend?

Happy new year:thumbsup:

The only way to decide is to listen to as many combinations as you have the time and patience for!....a CD receiver system as mentioned would be very much cheaper and more compact,but does tie you down when it comes to upgrades,and may also limit you a bit in terms of the sound quality.

You really need to try a few,and decide that way.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
I've been well pleased with my 515 used with Wharfedale Diamonds.

tugboatbill

Standard Member
I love my 515 paired with Q Acoustic 1010's, pumps out one hell of a sound, I downgraded from Cyrus/Mission due to lack of space and never regretted it, the WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology) which the unit employs is doing something very special in there, on audio and MP3 files.

Strobe

The Onkyo CS-715 is the step-up from the 515 and has a bit more grunt for not a lot more money. Creative-Audio do some competitive packages on both of these with the Q-Acoustics speakers.

Whichever way you look at it a decent £700 cd/amp/speaker package will undoubtedly sound better. Big plus for me with the Onkyo's is the optical digital input, it's a digital amp as opposed to analogue which most stereo amps are.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom