Onkyo CR 525 DAB owners?

jjriding

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have just ordered the above system and was considering buying an external hard drive to connect via the USB port. Just wondering if this would be possible? Looked up the manual online and it says only USB Mass Storage Class standard mass storage devices can be connected. Not quite sure what this means? Hoping someone with more knowledge than me or someone who has tried this config can help? Ta

Be carefull....

Some devices on like certain filesystems on the drive (FAT32, NTFS, etc...)

Although you can easily format the drive to use a different partition there are known issues and limitations with filesystems such as FAT.

Different drives wont make a difference, they pretty much all now use standardised protocols for connecting.

Be carefull....

Some devices on like certain filesystems on the drive (FAT32, NTFS, etc...)

Although you can easily format the drive to use a different partition there are known issues and limitations with filesystems such as FAT.

Different drives wont make a difference, they pretty much all now use standardised protocols for connecting.
Cheers for the reply. The disk would have to be FAT16/32 to be compatible. I undersand FAT32 has a mazimum file size of 4gb but are there any other limitations?

File name length - you can't bury the files in a complex folder structure for organisation if the file names are long.

Thanks for the advice. I bought an LG XD2 today from Scan and, although it had to be reformatted to FAT32 before I could use it, it works perfectly. Only downside is that the CR525 won't let you structure your files as I would like but it looks great with the black aluminium, matches the player wonderfully

Thanks for the advice. I bought an LG XD2 today from Scan and, although it had to be reformatted to FAT32 before I could use it, it works perfectly. Only downside is that the CR525 won't let you structure your files as I would like but it looks great with the black aluminium, matches the player wonderfully

Rather than start a new thread may I ask how you got the MP3s via USB working? I have stuck in a FAT32 formatted Sandisk 4gb USB stick with 42 albums and my CR-525 seems to only play from 2 of the folders/albums on 'shuffle'.

Ta.

Hi

I was going to buy a 525 but then tested it and found that you couldn't fast forward through tracks when playing them on a USB stick - I used an 8GB stick with 11 folders with about 120 tracks on each folder

I think it's something like 255 folders with 255 tracks in each

I purchased the Denon DM37 instead

Cheers

Yes, this is a very annoying thing about the CR525, although you can fast forward on MP3-CD tracks all right. That and the shuffle folders for USB problem mentioned above. USB playback is much better implemented on the Denon, IMO.

Help! Another question here - I want to get a dock for my 3GS iphone to play (obviously) audio only through the CR525. Can anyone advise me to which dock I need - I don't want to spend £100 on a fancy dock that sends video etc. Anyone tried with the old DSA1X or 2X?

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom