Question Onkyo "Check SP Wire" error

Sisig

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've had my Onkyo TX-NR696 for about 6 months, and the other day my receiver would suddenly go into diagnostic mode and it would end up with an error message "Check SP Wire".

I've disconnected all the speaker cables, and have even reset the receiver to factory settings. But after a few minutes, the receiver would still go into diagnostic mode and display "Check SP Wire".

Any recommendations on what else I should do to troubleshoot? Or should I send the unit out to repair?

Lots of information on the internet if you do a search.

If the amp goes into protection without connected speakers, then send unit out to repair. There could be a fault with microprocessor or amplifier module.
Basically, each channel has a bunch of small transistors at the power output stage.They form a DC and over current protection circuit. Under normal conditions, those transitors are "closed" but say, If you short speaker wires then over current protection (OVP) transistor becomes "open" and will pass signal to main microprocessor. Long story short, one of those transistors might be dodgy and sends that signal to MCU even under normal conditions.

1589704983581.png

I've had my Onkyo TX-NR696 for about 6 months, and the other day my receiver would suddenly go into diagnostic mode and it would end up with an error message "Check SP Wire".

I've disconnected all the speaker cables, and have even reset the receiver to factory settings. But after a few minutes, the receiver would still go into diagnostic mode and display "Check SP Wire".

Any recommendations on what else I should do to troubleshoot? Or should I send the unit out to repair?

Hi, I too have the same Receiver. Which is 3 month old. Am getting the same msg as Check SP Wire. Removal all SP wire but Still getting. Have you got any solution for your fault

Thanks.

same here, 1.5 months old. onkyo would suddenly turn off. after i turn it on “check sp wire” displayed. can’t find the rootcause. some days it will run perfectly, some days it will just shut of

I have an Onyo TX NR 777 with the same issue. It only happens when watching a DVD or Blue Ray. The sound goes way and it enters a self diagnostic mode and the message Check SP wire appears. I have been able to get rid of it by just turning the unit off. Also a fan blowing cool air on the vents prevents the problem. So what I do when I watch a DVD is turn my A/C colder and place a portable fan blowing at the vents and problem is avoided. It must be some component that gets hot. The problem never happens when using Apple TV or watching cable TV, listening to music etc . Only happens when watching a DVD or blue ray. It’s not a fix but this hack works for me.

In my case, the cause of the problem was an HDMI cable!
I notices that b/c I had to connect the screen directly to the game console. One day, the imagine was not being displayed so I thought that there was a problem with the cable. I decided to plug all my speakers and use a new HDMI cable. No more error!

Olá, eu também tenho o mesmo receptor. Que tem 3 meses. Estou recebendo a mesma mensagem que Check SP Wire. Remoção de todo o fio SP, mas ainda obtendo. Você tem alguma solução para a sua falha

Obrigado.
Ola, estou com o mesmo problema no Onkyo HT-R494, conseguiram resolver?

Ola, estou com o mesmo problema no Onkyo HT-R494, conseguiram resolver?
Welcome to the Forum.

AVForums is a United Kingdom based Forum and as such uses the English language. Could you please post any future conversations using Google translate as this would be an easier way for you to get answers.

AVForums é um Fórum sediado no Reino Unido e, como tal, usa a língua inglesa. Você poderia, por favor, postar quaisquer conversas futuras usando o Google translate, pois esta seria uma maneira mais fácil para você obter respostas.

Ola, I have the same problem on Onkyo HT-R494, have you managed to solve it?

Hi, I too have the same Receiver. Which is 3 month old. Am getting the same msg as Check SP Wire. Removal all SP wire but Still getting. Have you got any solution for your fault

Thanks.
I know this is going to sound cheesy.Had the same issue with check speaker cable so I did what everyone else suggested,factory reset and even took the top off and gave it a good shot of compressed air with no luck.So I put it back together and connected my outdoor speakers in stereo mode and was getting low sound from the left channel so I used the oldest trick in the book,a good smack with my hand of course and what do you know voila !!!! Works like I just took it out of the box.This may not work for you but I think I got lucky,no more error messages of shutting down when you turn up the volume,good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom