• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Onkyo, but which one??? 606,605,506,505?

JUICE690

Hi all after a 5.1 cinema set up, after reading reviews, checking this forum I've decided on a Onkyo but i'm not sure which one to go for.

I'm probably going to get the KEF 2005.2 for the speakers, and I currently have an XBOX360 (over component) which I stream HD movies from, Pioneer upscaling dvd player (HDMI) and a Panasonic PX80 tv.

I was going to go for the Onkyo 605, went into richer sounds enquiring about the differences between it and the 505 the guy there spieled off loads of information why I should pay extra for the 605, so I was pretty much decided.

But now I have the money to spend out comes the 606! so the dilemma is this, do I buy the 606 with it's few improvements, save a £100 and get the 605 as planned, or save myself even more money and get the new 506?

Would I really be missing out on much with the 506? my living room will be 22 x 14ft if that helps. And I guess my budget is around £800 for everything but I'd still like to spend as little as possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
The 606 does have a few extra features over the 605 but to be honest, unless you understand what they are and they are important to you then you wont miss them by owning a 605. As they say, ignorance is bliss.
There is alot bigger difference between the 5xx and 6xx ranges, the biggest being the amplification. I would say this is most important and my advice would be to get a 605 over a 505, but not to bother with the 606 unless its extra tweaks are something you know you need.

It really depends on what you want, the 6 series will be louder and clearer and its surround processing will lead to better results when watching films. But if all you've ever had is a cheap stereo from Asda then the 505 will sound great to you anyways. Just decide whats most important to you, Cost=505, Quality=605 or Quality and most possible features=606.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom