• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo AVR - no signal on Samsung TV through upconverting

lukes123

Standard Member
Hi,

I currently have the following kit:
  • TV: Samsung UE49NU7100
  • AV Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
  • 2x HDMI devices (Virgin V6 and PS4)
  • 2x Composite devices

Currently the only video output I have connected is HDMI out to the TV from the receiver, and an optical audio output to the receiver from the TV.

So my issue currently is that while all HDMI passthrough works correctly (from the likes of the Virgin box and PS4), I am unable to see an output from composite devices connected to the receiver via the HDMI output. (Audio comes through fine). Having tested this with a composite output from the receiver to the TV and being able to see a signal, I can confirm that it's an issue with the AV receiver. Testing on another TV (where I have previously had this working) and I think confirms this, as the issue persists.

I've had a scout round online and came across this post which seems to replicate my issue. It seems they had theirs repaired:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...-sr606-problem-setup-screen-upconversion.html

From all this, it seems that the AV receiver if most likely at fault. I believe Onkyos are famous for capacitor failure or some such, so my question really is what options do we have for repair these days? Is this something I can get repaired fairly cheaply, or should I just cut my losses and get another one.. perhaps sell this one for spares on eBay or something?

I would put a composite feed up to my TV as a workaround, but I have cables chased into the wall and doing this would be a mammoth job.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TL;DR: AV receiver won't output any composite signals via HDMI anymore... I think the AVR is faulty. Should I repair or buy a new one?

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom