Onkyo AV Receivers

skyliner34

I currently have a Denon AVR 1911 av receiver. Its pretty good, but when turned up it starts to loose it, trebles gets a bit harsh. I have a Arcam 82 CD player connected via QED signature coax and Acoustic Energy Evo 3s connected via QED Biwire anniversary(connected via biamp) had B&W 685s before them and they got bright and harsh when I turn up the volume.

I was thinking of upgrading to a Onkyo NR808 spec of amp or the SR ones as the network stuff dont intrest me. And you can pick up 2nd hand onkyos at good prices.

I was wondering what type of EQ has the onkyos got? At the moment I have bass and treble and a multi band eq which is handy.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Onkyo receivers are generally regarded as having a brighter sound compared to Denon hence if you find the Denon haesh with the treble then you may not like the Onkyo sound. The best advice would be to go and listen to one first to make sure you like it. Otherwise, why not get a higher end Denon/Yamaha/Marantz that may stand up to higher volumes without sound issues.

skyliner34

Many thanks for that.

What's the next step up in Denon or Yamaha amps?

I don't mind it being older model, my 1911 is a older model and does everything I need, just want better sound :)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
If looking at current models then the Denon 2313 or 3313 would be the ones to look at. For older models look for xx11 upwards and higher numbers than the 19xx you have now. For Yamaha I would look at the Advantege range 810/820 upwards.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom