Onkyo announce TX-NR737 and TX-NR838 AV Receivers with 4K & Vinyl Compatibility

No Audyssey Eq unfortunately.

Can't find much information at all on Onkyo's EQ tech. At least it's not that unusual now for an AVR company to build this in-house. Think Pioneer.

I'm not sure how this would work in practice. I'm no room acoustics expert, but surely the front stereo pair are just as important to correct for in-room performance? I understand the theory, and with the added phono stage they want to appeal to the vinyl/music fraternity with a one box solution.

I think they missed the bit where those enthusiasts would rather have a proper dedicated phono stage than a cheap integrated circuit, especially as this has been the way of things for several years. I'm not convinced.

I'm also not convinced with how much longevity is in this box. It's true, that could be said about all AVRs with the constantly changing HDMI specification, but if you're looking at 4K compliant kit, surely eventually you'll have more than one UHD/4K source? Unless of course the plan is to latch on to the serial upgrader and the next AVR will have a suite of HDCP 2.2 compliant sockets!

The addition of a phono stage at this level is nothing new for Onkyo or many other manufacturers though and not at all sure why they appear to be making such a big noise about it? Maybe to try cash in on the recent record day publicity or maybe just pure desperation to try suggest that they are doing something other manufacturers don't do?

The EQ system isn't developed by Onkyo, but was developed for them by a third party concern. I'd guess this has more to do with cost cutting on Onkyo's part as opposed to the new system actually offering anything better than Audyssey had to offer. They had to buy the Audyssey licensing from Audyssey in order to be able to implement it on their receivers. After saying this, they still insist on making those that buy Onkyo receivers pay for next to useless THX licensing.

It has been suggest elsewhere that Onkyo are using this system for the EQing:
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proBulletin/IRC_PB.pdf

The thing about bypassing the front speakers is not unique to Onkyo. Many manufacturers have similar options that EQ the other speakers so that they match the EQ of the main stereo pair and the stereo pair is left unEQ'd. For example Yamaha receiver's and Yamaha's YPAO allow for this.

Last edited:
The addition of a phono stage at this level is nothing new for Onkyo or many other manufacturers though and not at all sure why they appear to be making such a big noise about it? Maybe to try cash in on the recent record day publicity or maybe just pure desperation to try suggest that they are doing something other manufacturers don't do?

The EQ system isn't developed by Onkyo, but was developed for them by a third party concern. I'd guess this has more to do with cost cutting on Onkyo's part as opposed to the new system actually offering anything better than Audyssey had to offer. They had to buy the Audyssey licensing from Audyssey in order to be able to implement it on their receivers. After saying this, they still insist on making those that buy Onkyo receivers pay for next to useless THX licensing.

It has been suggest elsewhere that Onkyo are using this system for the EQing:
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proBulletin/IRC_PB.pdf

The thing about bypassing the front speakers is not unique to Onkyo. Many manufacturers have similar options that EQ the other speakers so that they match the EQ of the main stereo pair and the stereo pair is left unEQ'd. For example Yamaha receiver's and Yamaha's YPAO allow for this.
I seriously don't know why you just don't answer "I fudgeing hate Onkyo with a passion" on all Onkyo related threads - would save a lot of time...;)

Dante: Thanks for that about the Yam system being similar, didn't know that. At the end of the day, except for expensive HDMI V2/HDCP V2.2 for 4K and the corresponding processing (which really isn't the job of a low to mediocre AVR anyway), where are AVR manufacturers to go? It stands to reason that there's going to be similar strategies amongst competition. Onkyo's always been known to throw as much tech in as they can at any given price point. That's why I bought one many years ago. Unfortunately today, that's not the be-all and end-all; but it was pretty significant to me back then.

Nobbler: I don't know what's going on in other threads, but at no point did I see the reply to my post being anti Onkyo. So back off.

Dante: Thanks for that about the Yam system being similar, didn't know that. At the end of the day, except for expensive HDMI V2/HDCP V2.2 for 4K and the corresponding processing (which really isn't the job of a low to mediocre AVR anyway), where are AVR manufacturers to go? It stands to reason that there's going to be similar strategies amongst competition. Onkyo's always been known to throw as much tech in as they can at any given price point. That's why I bought one many years ago. Unfortunately today, that's not the be-all and end-all; but it was pretty significant to me back then.

Nobbler: I don't know what's going on in other threads, but at no point did I see the reply to my post being anti Onkyo. So back off.
You might want to read it again then...FWIW,I actually agree with him. And as far as I am aware, the EQ system has been developed in house by Onkyo - I only worked for them for 2 years until recently...:)

Sony receivers also have an option that leaves the stereo speakers alone and tries to match the output of the other speakers to that of the stereo speakers. Audyssey equiped AV receivers also have an option to bypass the EQ in relation to stereo speakers as well as a totally independent setup for use with stereo content. I'm hazarding that the likes of Pioneer also have much the same kind of option or options available to them? The Onkyo feature doesn't appesr to be anything new or innovative?

Yes, I hate Onkyo. They are evil!

See I told you! There was nothing malicious meant by it and I knew Dante would take it in the way it was meant...

Expect to hear from my legal team in the near future!

I hope you're not blaspheming. It is Easter Bunny day after all :nono:

The day the Easter Bunny invented chocalate eggs is sacred. Again, this is something Onkyo like to claim that they did first.

No but they did invent chocolate AVR's...

OK, evidently this is something that's started between you two a long time ago in a thread far far away. I don't have a clue how Onkyo's evil; come to think of it I'm not bothered either.

Also there's obviously been a lot of changes to room EQ since I last played with them on any AVR, probably a year or two ago now. Just when you thought you had a handle on what's going on...

There's obviously been vast improvements relating to phono stages as well or why else would Onkyo even bother to mention their inclusion?

I find it amazing that if Onkyo drop Audyssey that someone then comes to the conclusion that there has been changes in room correction that forced their hand? I think it more likely that it is simply cheaper for Onkyo to not use Audyssey? This isn't to say that I believe Audyssey to be anyway as good as many portray it to be and wouldn't suggest anyone buy a receiver purely based upon the room correction system it comes with. If you want the best room correction at consumer level then Anthem's ARC system is probably the best you can currently get. If you're an Russian Oligarch then Lindorf have a system that would probably meet your needs.

Onkyo list a large number of firsts on its web site and on its history page, but not one of them was ever developed by Onkyo. They manage to license new tech and get it into the stores before its competitors, but they are definately not the innovators of that technology.

These new Onkyo models wont include anything you will not find on another brands' similarly priced AV receivers and that includes HDMI version 2.0, HDCP 2.2, a phono stage and proprietary room correction. THe Onkyo models probably will appear on the shelves first though and have a high retail price attached to them. This price will probably fall as soon as Onkyo's competitors start shipping their new models because the Onkyo models will then have some competition to compete with. You do get THX Select2 Plus certification though, but is that really worth the money you are paying for it?

Serious question, is anyone eager to rush out and buy either of these two receivers or even the Onkyo TXNR636 below them? If you are wanting one then why? I think many will be very wary of anything Onkyo manufacture given their current reliability record?

By the way, Pioneer were the first to announce their new HDMI version 2.0 equipped AV receivers this year and not Onkyo as suggested with Onkyo's TXNR636 press release!

Last edited:
Looks like a 1980s stereo receiver , very ugly...

I just checked my 818 and it has a phono stage , yet Onkyo did not make a song and dance about it when it was released so perhaps your comment about the "record day" is not far off the mark.

I consider buying TX-NR737 and have a question if there is the equivalent of Audyssey Dynamic EQ build in TX-NR737? I just listen to music with low volumes and need something like [automatic] loudness. For some time I had receiver With Audyssey and I find Audyssey Dynamic EQ very useful. Please explain if any counterpart is implemented in 737/838?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom