Onkyo and Philips

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sony, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Sony

Sony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am eyeing up the 400 pound Onkyo dvd player dv-s535 or somethin'
    Has anyone bought one? Just how good is it? Ive bought 3 mags so i'm not quite into it all, yet.
    What things do i need to think about when buying a player? Being a poor student i'm not looking for the whole package (i.e. surround sound speaker, receivers, decoders, and other black boxes.)
    This THX thing: is it only on receivers or do the expensive dvd players have it? and the 5.1 thing, do i need that?

The tv i am looking at is the Philips 28PW6305...anyone have any thoughts on it?

I have a decent amp and speakers already, (Marantxz and Missions)- can i put dvd/tv through them for better sound? i think the onkyo needs a decoder for this digital 5.1 malarky.

Someone...just sit me down in a well-lit room and explain it all to me!

Also, is there anything for the price reange to match the onkyo or philips?

Spank you..err i mean thank you :confused:

2. nemesis2

nemesis2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm from France and I just bought a Onkyo dvs 535 multizones. I own a tuner and cd onkyo, so I wanted to buy an onkyo dvd. Well, I use my player on Sony tv and rgb scart connexion. Result: great image (super contrast and colors) and sound is very good (as cd player too): it's an Onkyo! Just a little flaw: mechanism is relatively loud. So, I'm very happy with this player. Recommended.

3. Sony

Sony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you said muechanism is loud. Is this while it is playing? or when the disc tray opens?

4. nemesis2

nemesis2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I said mechanism was loud. In fact, you can hear it during playing but not all the time (beginning of a dvd because the speed is very high, or around the layer change). But don't worry: many friends of mine didn't hear this noise! I contacted a technician who told me it was normal (toshiba mechanism (as in the 535)feature; pioneer, even expensive, too). So, I still recommend it. I think it's a great choice for the price!