Onkyo AIO Help?

rio1981

Prominent Member
Reaction score
*** Apologies for cross-posting but thought my post might be more suitable in this forum rather than the Onkyo Owner's Forum ***

I'm hoping someone can help here, I'm very new to audio and I'm trying to get my head around it all.

First things first, this is for a very small gaming and movie "den", where I would say 70% will be for gaming (360) and 30% for Blu-Ray (looking at one of the new Panny's for this), viewing distance of about 6 feet to what will be the new Panny 42V10 plasma. SkyHD will come later on and I may add a PS3 depending on whether they drop the price a bit.

I would say I've set aside the (very) modest sum of £400-£500 for receiver and speakers to put a toe in the water. I liked the look of the HT-S5205, which includes the budget 307 receiver (£350 at Peter Tyson), but I know the HTX-22HD package is well thought of on here as well (£350-ish at exceptional AV for the 5.1 package).

I'm no audiophile and wonder whether my untrained ears will be able to tell much difference between DTS and HD Audio and, additionally, given that most of my time in this den will be gaming, is there any point looking for something with HD Audio?

Also in terms of aesthetics the HT-S5205 is the "prettier" kit to my eyes.

Any help / advice in this area would be greatly appreciated as I truly am a fish out of water here...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom