1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo 989 upg2 to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kid rock, Feb 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This receiver is on sale here in Germany at a dealer - new boxed -for 2100 euros or about 1500 pounds. I had set myself a limit of 1300 pounds to upgrade to 7.1- but hell i am tempted . I am really interested in upgrading the Arcam avr 200 I have and was going to buy one of the following- Yam 2400( auditioned this 2 months ago great- but decided to wait to see the new Arcam and Nad), Arcam avr 300 or the Nad t773. Does anyone think the Onk is better value than my original shortlist of 3???:rolleyes: Kid Rock

System NEc ht1000, Nec Plasmasync, Arcam avr200, Pioneer dv737,Silicon Images I Scan Pro, Mission 773e fronts, 77c1 centre, 4 Mission m5ds on order for 7.1 duties,Mission 77ds rears B+w asw 675.Oehlbach and chord video cables,Nordost superflat speaker cable.

2. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is a very good price I go for the onkyo.The yamaha is around 1k but the onkyo is around2.5k and olso it is a very good amp.

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I cannot comment on the other receivers you mention but I believe the Arcam AVR300 will retail for around 1998 Euros including VAT. It has outstanding audio performance in both analogue and digital modes, so you might be advised to wait till it is available (about 2 months) rather than jump now.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Look carefully at the power ratings Onkyo use for their amps. They don't seem to five a full 7.1 driven output measurement. Low power and a noisy fan (which didn't seem to engage when I reckoned it should have) what put me off getting one.

Russell