1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo 939 DVD Player, my Thoughts

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Phil Hinton, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,969
    Having tested the Arcam DV88 and Denon 2800mkII with varying degrees of success in the search for my next player, this week I have been living with the Onkyo 939thx DVD Player.

The tests have been done on my system, using componant through the Iscan, onto a Barco 800 CRT. Sound System is a Tag AV32R, Rotel 1075, M&K 750thx LCR, M&K 55 Tripoles, Velo CHT-15 Sub.

The player was set up using test patterns before viewing.

This Player is being discounted heavily as they are being discontinued and replaced by a new model soon. retail should be £1,800, this unit is priced at £999.

First impressions are....Christ this thing is very heavy and built like a tank. The build quality is second to none and very impressive. On the rear it has Two sets of every video output, as well as audio outputs for DVD-A, and two sets of Digital Outs and ins. This Silver finished version is very well built and offers everything a serious videophile could want as far as connections go.

Picture

After some tweaking, i sat back and tried out the infamous AOTC R1 disc. My first impression was WOW! The sheer depth produced in the image is excellent, with a 3D quality that the Denon and Arcam just did not have. Then the player for no reason froze up, and refused to spit the disc out. After turning the power off and back on this solved the problem, and it never did it again through any other tests, strange and proberly a one off - i hope.
    Next was Moulin Rouge R2, and the level of detail again was just brilliant, the flesh tones and the colours were natural looking with no bleed, and even in the shadows there was plenty of detail on offer. The sheer depth of image was what really stood out for me, and i believed i was now enjoying a proper high end player, with no lip sync issues, no pixelation issues, and a crisp 3D image that just yelled out high class. Can you tell i am impressed.

Sound

The DD and DTS tracks were very well reproduced and had real quality about them, I just could not fault the movie performance of the machine.

Next was two channel, and my first niggle. In stereo playing CD the player has a very laid back approach, and I felt that there was a little missing in the midrange. Nothing huge mind you, but after the Arcam, and Denon, this was Different in it's presentation.
    I have a feeling that a better quality Digital interconnect than the one i was using, might bring a little more detail and midrange out of this beast, so I will not comment any further. But I certainly can live with it's performance, and if I really want to get better 2 channel i may as well buy a CD Player.

Overall

I am very impressed with this player, in my opinion it is clearly a different proposition to the Denon and Arcam, and one that I like very much, and could certainly live with. I should point out that this machine is based around the already brilliant Tosh 900, although i have not done a side to side comparison to see what the real differences are, but from what i have seen with the Onkyo, I have been very impressed. And lastly this is also a THX cert Machine and also has DVD-A, I have not tested it with any DVD-a Discs as my Tag does not have the 5.1 bypass option, and I am yet to be convinced with the technology, but the option is there. I highly recommend this machine, and it might just be sitting pride of place on my rack on a permenant basis very soon.

Thanks to Craig and Nev @ Sevenoaks Newcastle for the loan Machine.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice player, apparently it's got Chroma Bug though.

Have you ever noticed Chroma Bug- what size image is required to spot it?

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,969
    Nathan I didn't use the players deinterlacing chipset so can't comment on the bug. There are many players that use the same, and in my opinion you have to really go looking for it to notice anyway. It has never been an issue for me in decideing what player to get, and i feel to much is made of the so called chroma issues, just my opinion.

I did not notice it using the iscan at 7.5ft wide, so not an issue for me.

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,969
    Another point i forgot to mention, if you have the 989 amp, you can connect straight to it using a specified cable.

5. MikeNelson

MikeNelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just bought one of these and am incredibly chuffed with it. I can only echo THX's comments and at 1000 it's a great player. Wonder what they're replacing it with?

6. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yes, i have seen the Onkyo 939 a few times & it is a very well built machine. Gave off some very good pictures too.

Didn't they release an Integra High - spec model as well?

Something like an RV-1 ???? I think that was over £2500.

Their top of the range Integrated is built like a nuclear shelter as well.......

Onkyo dont seem as popular in the UK do they:confused:

When i first demo'd my HGS-18 the guy was using a 939 & Top end Onkyo..........

Adzman

7. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

RDV-1, www.integraresearch.com

I have had this machine to use for several weeks and it is
    superb in every respect.

Hope this is of interest.

8. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Cheers for that Craig...

Yeah, that's the one i was thinking of..

Fantastic build quality if i remember.

How much does it differ from the Onkyo 939 that Phil's using?
    Better internal components & superior chasis?

Thanks mate.

EDIT Actually Craig, while you're on have you heard the Integra RDC-7/RDA-7 pre/power combo as well?

This Integra RDC range looks quite a formidable line-up for people who are looking for this type of kit.

Cheers mate

Adam....

9. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

Hi,
    Yes I have heard the full system and it is superb, the processor is the same size as the TX-DS989 and is very good, the power amp
    is a beast and weighs 8.5 stone!!!

as a system, awesome!!!

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have 'played' with the 939 twice, thought it a very fine player but Onkyo always knew what they were doing. Will happiliy lend you a lead if you need one for testing.

11. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Almost off topic.. I bought a Onkyo 898 amp in the Jan Sales.. very happy with it.. (esp with the re-badged pronto remote)..very impressed with the sound and build... easy to use .. a real good buy. Works nicely with my DV88+ :).

I am also suprised how little Onkyo seems to be mentioned.. esp as the Euro models seem to be a better spec (and more in line) with the us Integra range..

Cheers

Matt

12. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I was under the impression the Onkyo was based on the Pioneer 747 chasis? Is this right?

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. Based on the Toshiba £1600 model.

14. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

The DV-SP800 is built around the Pioneer 747 chassis.

Yet comparing the onkyo with the 757 we feel that the onkyo
    is better in every way.

Hope this helps.

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It is nice to see the Onkyo getting the credit it deserves, also in this class is the Toshiba 900 from which it is based. The Integra RDV 1 is also a version but despite it high price it is a player that fails to deliver for me, I would take the cheaper Onkyo or Toshiba anyday. They have tried to be clever with some of the digital electronics and although what they have aimed for is a noble idea, the implementation leaves something to be desired. A case of don't fiddle if it right already I think.

Re the Onkyo, can anyone pass any comments on PAL PS or the IEE1394 'upgrade'. When this plyer was launced they said it would get this, is this still on the cards? I would also like to know how IT DOES PAL PS is (if it does it), the toshiba does 'pseudo' PAL PS. No one can explain this to me, I guess it is PAL to NTSC to NTSC PS but 'supplier' ignore my emails.

For info the two other players I have time for in price bracket are the Tosh 9500 and the Arcams (new ones).

16. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    i have seen this player at 700 quid somewhere is it worth that much?I think it was the dvs939 is that the same model or a lesser one? good to hook up to a plasma?

17. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yes, it converts PAL to NTSC for Progressive output but it doesn't do it very well. It produces odd combing effects and jaggies so I don't bother using it.:(