• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo 905 finally on way out - what replacement - can only afford £500

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
My now 6 and bit your old Onkyo 905 has given up the ghost, or at least is on its way out

It now rarely holds any settings, meaning before can settle down and watch anything you need to check all settings to ensure speaker levels etc are correct and also 2 of the sets of speaker connections suffered a bad knock in a recent move

My budget is £500 (at the real most) and I have the choice of the following (would go and buy from Creative Audio as only up road from me)

Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2 @ £319
Yamaha RX-V671 7.1 @ £349
Yamaha RX-V673 7.2 @ £449
Yamaha RX-A1010 Aventage 7.2 (B Grade) @ £499

Now gone are my days of running the amp loud and annoying the neighbours. Since I purchased the 905 I have started to live in the real world. I no longer have my SVS cylinder sub and just use the Kef 2005 Speaker package in 5.1

The amp is mainly used for an equal mix of Blu Ray, SkyHD and Gaming (360, PS3 and WiiU)

I suppose the only upgrade I may be fortunate to go to in next few years would be a newer TV, so maybe 3D at that point but I dont think my room would allow me to have more than 2 rear speakers

Any suggestions ?

k17chy

Distinguished Member
I have a onkyo 616 and so far can't fault it for the money. Only had issues when installing the software, do it via usb. Other than that its spot on.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Cheers. its always been high up my list, but just as im about to make decision I see things about poor HDMI handshaking or not coming out of standby

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
My passion for home cinema is not what once was. I no longer have my SVS cylinder sub and am more than happy with just 5.1 from my Kef eggs, but I do need a new amp

I want something detailed, something that will give me a good sound at realistic semi detached property levels (not at the booming levels I once used) - something that can pick up the details in a soundtrack (im thinking I want to be blown away like when i first heard T2 on Laserdisc and hearing that shotgun cartridge fall onto the floor outside the bar, or the cups blow around the sound stage)

I have owned Denons, Onkyos and Yamahas before and just dont know where to go now

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Cheers, im thinking id not get the most from the 1010
The Denon looks good, of all the amps have owned over the years Denon always tended to be the most detailed (Onkyo the most in face and Yamaha a mid ground)

Shame Creative dont do the Denon

chic

Distinguished Member
My onkyo 876 was playing up, so I got an onkyo. 616, very happy with it, I have had no hdmi problems and my software updates went smoothly and I now have 3d pass through . As for sound quality it sounds just as good as the 876 it replaced

Mark Costello

Editorial Contributor
Just to add my two penneth........my onkyo 805 recently packed in and was recommended the yamaha 673.

Loved the brightness of the onkyo through my kefs and had had pioneer amps before that, so was a bit skeptical about moving to the yammy's sound.......boy was I wrong!

The sound quality is at the very least equal to the 805 but with the benefit of all the extra features ive really been missing - not enough HDMIs meant the Xbox was running thru component at only 720p, having to run 2 HDMI leads to the pj for 3D, which caused no end of pj lock ups switching between inputs, AirPlay, onscreen menus........the list goes on.

Can recommend the 673 coming from an 805 any day of the week.

Mark

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
cost22998 said:
Just to add my two penneth........my onkyo 805 recently packed in and was recommended the yamaha 673.

Loved the brightness of the onkyo through my kefs and had had pioneer amps before that, so was a bit skeptical about moving to the yammy's sound.......boy was I wrong!

The sound quality is at the very least equal to the 805 but with the benefit of all the extra features ive really been missing - not enough HDMIs meant the Xbox was running thru component at only 720p, having to run 2 HDMI leads to the pj for 3D, which caused no end of pj lock ups switching between inputs, AirPlay, onscreen menus........the list goes on.

Can recommend the 673 coming from an 805 any day of the week.

Mark

Cheers
Sort of what need to here
Just need find best price.

Mark Costello

Editorial Contributor
I got mine instore at superfi - really helpful and threw on a £40 hdmi lead in for gratis.

Good luck, honestly you won't be disappointed with the yammy.

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom