• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo 876 with PS3 volume level issues.

X

xfit

First time poster here so be gentle with me...

My setup is as follows:
Panasonic TH-37PX80b
Onkyo TX SR876
Anthony Gallo a'Diva
Sony PS3 80gb (software update 2.76)
Virgin V+ box
HDMI (1.3) connected

All the components are in a cupboard about 3m from the tv. Everything is linked into the receiver with a 5m HDMI from the receiver to the tv.

Have had this set up for a few months now and generally it's stunning. I only have 1 gripe that I can't seem to figure out. When watching a DVD (not blu-ray, not gotten any yet...I know I know) the volume of all speech is almost inaudible. It's the same on all DVDs and in all listening modes. In order to hear any of the speech (that isn't shouting) the volume has to be so high that when any other effects (i.e explosion) kick in it blows the windows out basically.

On initial set up I ran through the Audysey speaker config which seemed fine at the time so I don't know why it's not picking up speech patterns so well. I even tried adjusting the level on the centre channel speaker but that doesn't really seem to have affected it either.

Bizarre, hope someone has an idea.

Thanks in advance.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
First time poster here so be gentle with me...

My setup is as follows:
Panasonic TH-37PX80b
Onkyo TX SR876
Anthony Gallo a'Diva
Sony PS3 80gb (software update 2.76)
Virgin V+ box
HDMI (1.3) connected

All the components are in a cupboard about 3m from the tv. Everything is linked into the receiver with a 5m HDMI from the receiver to the tv.

Have had this set up for a few months now and generally it's stunning. I only have 1 gripe that I can't seem to figure out. When watching a DVD (not blu-ray, not gotten any yet...I know I know) the volume of all speech is almost inaudible. It's the same on all DVDs and in all listening modes. In order to hear any of the speech (that isn't shouting) the volume has to be so high that when any other effects (i.e explosion) kick in it blows the windows out basically.

On initial set up I ran through the Audysey speaker config which seemed fine at the time so I don't know why it's not picking up speech patterns so well. I even tried adjusting the level on the centre channel speaker but that doesn't really seem to have affected it either.

Bizarre, hope someone has an idea.

Thanks in advance.

Hi. :)
How is the PS3 connected to the Onkyo?

X

xfit

The PS3 is connected to the 876 with an HDMI v1.3 cable, as is the V+ box and the plasma.
Also, I read through the setup that was recommended above before I posted and the PS3 and receiver were already setup as described.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
The PS3 is connected to the 876 with an HDMI v1.3 cable, as is the V+ box and the plasma.
Also, I read through the setup that was recommended above before I posted and the PS3 and receiver were already setup as described.

Not sure then :( have the PS3 connected via HDMI myself and haven't encountered any issues.

james.miller

Prominent Member
use the dynamic range control on either the ps3 or your amp. dvd's are supposed to have a large dynamic range lol

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom