Onkyo 876 display issue at 60Hz, HTPC

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by yepo, Aug 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. yepo

yepo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys! I'm actually new to this forum, which I find very interesting :).
    But so far, I didn't find the right answer to my problem - if you guys could help me plz...

I have an HTPC (GTX 560 ti) linked via HDMI to my Onkyo 876 to get the sound + image. Then, the Onkyo HDMI out is linked to a Panasonic plasma TV.

My problem is, when I set [email protected] (via the GPU Nvidia interface), the display on the TV is perfect. But when I change to 60Hz, the display on the TV is narrowed, unnatural, with black band on the edge :mad:

If the HTPC is directly linked to the TV, each configuration (24Hz and 60Hz) works just fine.
    So I guess it's a pb with the AV... Maybe with the Reon processing?
    Of course, OSD immediate display is set to OFF, HDMI main outpout is set to Through. My firmware is 1.01. I must have missed something, but I don't know what...
    If you guys have any ideas... :lease:
    Thx a lot.

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,531
    If you live in Europe, as per this forum, use 50Hz, as per your PAL TV, rather than 60Hz.

If you're US-resident, I suggest trying a more local forum where you'll find people with knowledge of the NTSC TV system and its oddities.

Check if it will work with 1080i50/i60, rather than 1080p50/p60 (there are no 1080p50 / p60 sources anyway).

3. yepo

yepo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First thing first, thx for the answer! And I indeed live in France :D

Actually with all the settings you suggest, the display will look the same, that is "compressed" with black band on the left and right sides of the TV screen (not on the upper/lower sides). The display will only be OK with 1080p24. :confused:
    I seem to recall that the Reon processor does not any processing with 1080p24 signal, that could explain part of my problem.

I forget to mention, I want to make it work at 60Hz in order to play games! So far I was using it to watch movies, so the 1080p24 was pretty OK for me :)

4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,531
    Your Onkyo 876 allows you to bypass the Reon processor completely ("through mode") for all refresh rates, so it's easy to test if the Reon is the cause of your problem.

If you've enabled deep colour anywhere, try disabling it throughout.

5. yepo

yepo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even when I set the HDMI in/out in "through" mode I get the issue; now, I think to have read somewhere that even in through mode, the Reon is still messing in some way with the signal, with the onkyo xx6 series. I don't know what to do with that info anyway...

However, I'm gonna try to look at the deep colour stuff, I'm pretty sure that it's activated somewhere on the TV or AV. I will tell you the results.Thx! :thumbsup:

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,848
    Why are you altering the refresh rate? There's no need to adjust the refresh rate and you should simply leave this set to the native refresh rate of the content (passthrough without alteration via either your PC or the receiver). If the game isn't encoded with a 60Hz refresh rate altering it can have detrimental effects upon the video!

You may find this of interest:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

Most modern TVs switch the refresh rate according to the native refresh rate of the incoming video signal. Your TV isn't fixed at 1080/24p.

Also, what is the actual native aspect ratio of the content you are trying to view? Are you trying to fill the screen with content that has an aspect ratio of 4:3 or is the display showing a 16:9 image squashed up into 4:3?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  7. yepo

yepo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Dante01: I'm actually adjusting the refresh rate of my source (HTPC). I want to increase my refresh rate up to 24Hz in order to enhance the fluidity when I play (24fps is really lame when playing the witcher 2 for instance). Indeed when it is about watching movies, 24Hz is OK for me.

I read the article, that's interesting indeed but my TV can only be set to 50Hz or 100Hz (don't have the 600Hz trick... lol!).

Via the GPU, I fill my display with 16/9 content (1080p50). My TV is a 16/9 one, so I expect to fill it completely. If I plug the PC directly to the TV, I get a full image, 16/9, 50Hz, no pb. Now if put the AV between the PC and the TV, I will get 50Hz, but also something like a 16/9 image squashed up into 4/3 (indeed!)...

8. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,531
    That sound like a simple issue of anamorphic encoding being misprocessed or simply not being set. So first off, here's a really silly question, so please accept my apologies for asking. Have you checked that your TX-SR876 is correctly configured for your TV (Onkyo manual, pages 109-112), specifically the game and zoom modes, and not that something has gone awry here? (I already asked about the Resolution setting in post #4).

If it's a 4:3 display of a 16:9 picture, it may just be a trivial matter of pressing the aspect ratio button on the TV's remote, although this is normally automatic with HDMI connectivity when correctly configured in the source and amp.

9. yepo

yepo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok! I finally manage to get my hands on my AV - and I played with the game and zoom mode within the onkyo menu. So thx you guys, the answer was to set the zoom in "full" to get a correct display in 1080p60. :clap:
    However that doesn't work in 1080p24. In this case, I have to put the zoom in "normal".
    I don't understand why it is not automatic :confused:, but I'm relieved it is possible!!!
    It was maybe the only option I didn't play with, without you guys I wouldn't have find it, definitely. So thx!! And next time I will read the manual carefully....