Onkyo 876 AV Receiver and VHS player

AlpeshShah

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have just bought myself a Onkyo 876 receiver... (actually my first receiver ever)... Can someone please advise how i can connect a VHS player to it. The AV receiver doesnt have scart input but the VHS player has scart output. I am a little stuck so would really appreciate different options.

:lease:

Thanks in advance.

Alps

Does the VHS player have any audio outputs (Stereo RCA)? If it does, my advice would be to connect straight to the display via scart and just connect the audio via stereo RCA to the AMP.

If it doesn't your going to have to get a scart breakout box to get audio out of it.

You have three choices:
1) Connect the VHS to the TV via SCART as before. Connect the TV to the Onkyo 876 - needed for watching TV anyway. When you play a tape, just choose the TV on the receiver. This is how I do it.
2) If your VHS player has a stereo analogue output (most do), connect these to the receiver. Leave the SCART connected to the TV.
3) If your VHS player doesn't have a stereo analogue output and for some reason you don't like choice 1, buy a SCART break-out cable (SCART on one end, and SCART + analogue audio on the other end). Such cables are available, but may be hard to find.

There is also a fourth option involving routing the video through the Onkyo. Since this involves a lot of configuration pain, loses substnatial functionality (e.g. automatic switching, channel download, teletext programming, record now) with no compensation, it cannot be recommended.

DOH! How did I miss the obvious! Option 1 above is the simplest and most convenient, as you also use the same connection for when you are watching your TV's internal tuner and want the sound from that thru your amp.

Thanks guys for the post... the problem is that the plasma is going to be wall mounted (floating wal) so i would only like one cable run upto the screen. I have also realised that my freeview box is also scart as well. i would like to connect it to the AV receiver so that i can a) upscale the picture via HQV processor and b) only use one cable to the screen.

is there a scart to component converter? is this good?

Cheers
Alps

There are but they are quite expensive (ÂŁ60 to ÂŁ150). Doing all that processing to your signal (transcoding to component, upscaling and then trancoding to HDMI) may result in a worse picture than just a simple scart connection to the TV. Can you not just run a couple of scart leads to your wall mounted TV?

1) SCART may be carrying composite, YC (S-VHS) or RGBS (note the separate Sync, we're in Europe). Component uses 3 connectors and is for US (YUV). So the simple answer is no, you can't convert as you need to pass the Sync somehow. For completeness I'll mention that there is a concept of Sync on Green and that you can buy a conversion box.
2) As I already explained, SCART carries a lot more than just video and stereo audio. A VCR typically uses all of the functions. Why would you want to lose these?
3) Your Plasma will scale the picture anyway, you don't need to use the receiver to do what the TV already does.

One you're wall mounting, add in a cable channel and run a SCART cable. Since you have multiple SCART sources, a SCART switch may be considered as a means of reducing the number of SCART cables in the channel.

Another possibility is a SCART -> HDMI converter. I have no experience with this device and do not know if it supports conversion of AV-Link and slow switching to CEC (I suspect not) - if not, there is still a loss of functionality.

Thanks guys for your advice. I have just looked at the back of the freeview box and have found these connections, a red audio L, a white audio R, a yellow Video and a black S/PDIF out. Can i use this to connect to the AV receiver? If so how?

Cheers
Alps

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom