Onkyo 875 - best way to connect my periferals

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tommyb1, Jan 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. tommyb1

tommyb1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thank's to all the great advice I've had from this wonderful forum - due to which I have just ordered an Onkyo 875 (to go with my Quad Lites which I also bought based on advice from here). I'm investing for the future.:thumbsup:

Anyway - what is the best way to connect my periferals listed below?:

Sky box: Panasonic tu dsd40 how should I send the audio & video to the 875 - which type of lead should I get?

DVD: Philips 612 - is it best to send the audio via the coaxial to the 875? also, how should I send the video - again, which type of lead should I get?

TV: JVC AV28R25EK (CRT) - This has various inputs (S-Video x 1 • Composite x 1 • Audio (RCA) x 1 • RF x 1 • 21-pin SCART x 3-one of which states RGB is available), again, which cables do I need?

I will be upgrading my tv soon, but not yet - end of the year probably. The JVC has been great to be honest.

If your still reading - thank you!

Any advice would be truly appreciated.:lease:

2. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Usual connection protocol would be to connect both the video and audio signals through the amp. However, as you do not currently have a Plasma/LCD/Projector, I would leave your video connections as they are and only carry the audio to the 875.

If your Sky box has an Optical output, use this. If not, the standard analogue phono outputs will be fine. The 875 will turn a stereo signal into Dolby Pro Logic IIx/DTS Neo:6/ Neural THX etc to give a surround effect.

The Phillips DVD player will need to be connected via the Coaxial cable, as you mentioned, in order to ensure full Dolby Digital or DTS etc.