onkyo 875 audyssey

Reaction score
i'm sure i've seen a diagram somewhere of how to place the mic or the 8 positions, but i can't find it for the life of me.
anyone guide me?

sorry for putting post in wrong place.:oops:

It is in the Manual page 55 .

sure i'd seen one that was different. where it worked with triangles of seating.

Never seen that ,the setup in manual is only way mate, unless you have seen the pic that shows lines between the Numbers .. if that is the case this is same setup ..

need to try and find manual. it is for 8 positions isn't it?

Never seen that ,the setup in manual is only way mate

There is a setup picture on the AVSForum, shows the numbers in slightly different order to that of the Onkyo manual as well as having the number positions spread out further from the listening position too.

From what I can remember the advice of Audyssey themselves in the case of a three-seater couch setup was to use the additional 5 positions in front of and behind the couch to create an "acoustic bubble" (I think that was the term?) around the couch area, whereas I'm sure the Onkyo manual appears to just be on the couch itself.

There is a setup picture on the AVSForum, shows the numbers in slightly different order to that of the Onkyo manual as well as having the number positions spread out further from the listening position too.

From what I can remember the advice of Audyssey themselves in the case of a three-seater couch setup was to use the additional 5 positions in front of and behind the couch to create an "acoustic bubble" (I think that was the term?) around the couch area, whereas I'm sure the Onkyo manual appears to just be on the couch itself.

audyssey Guide you mean ? not seen the ones Behind Couch .. AVS Forum - View Single Post - "Official" Audyssey thread.

Scroll down to Audyssey Measurement Locations (2).pdf

It does say on the Audyssey guide thread to measure from behind the seating area... I did think I'd seen a picture on there with this too, but maybe I am getting confused

Measure behind the main seating area—at ear height, obviously—if you can.

It does say on the Audyssey guide thread to measure from behind the seating area... I did think I'd seen a picture on there with this too, but maybe I am getting confused

I would not worry about it mate , the 8 position's you see is just a Guide to were you put mic at each test .
you can Widen the mic placements to Behind the Sofa, it does depend on room/seating.

look at it this way if we had too many mic placement Guides this would get to Confusing also the Guide never shows the Width of the sofa :D

Just a thought - If there's only one listener, who sits in a single spot all the time. Then is there any benefit to using 8 positions?

Always wondered if i'm missing out by tuning to a single location?

Just a thought - If there's only one listener, who sits in a single spot all the time. Then is there any benefit to using 8 positions?

Using 8 positions you can get a better sound field but this still depends on room and Objects around it , you may here a difference from just using 3 positions you may not.
no harm in trying though .
even if you have not run Audyssey for a while i would run it again anyway but Check sub dials as well, as my Volume Sub Dial moved last time unless i Caught it switching on and off .

When I was messing about with REW (frequency measuring software), I found that doing one position gave the best base response at that position which makes sense, because if you do more than one position, Audyssey will try and give a reasonable response for all the positions you measure so the main position will be compromised.

The only one you need to worry about the position is the first one - this needs to be taken in the main "sweetspot" seat as it's the measurement where the speaker distances, sizes and levels are taken from...the other 7 don't matter...I have delved deep into this and came up with the this that works best for me...

First measurement from the sweetspot...second 2 feet to the left, third 2 feet to the right, fourth 2 feet in front of the first, 5th 2 feet in front of the second, 6th 2 feet in front on the third, 7th where a x would cross between the first and 2 and 8th the same with the other side...

Points to note when taking measurements - make sure that the mic height is set above the back of the sofa to avoid reflections - even if it does mean it's at ear height. Try to make a "bubble" around the seating area varying the height of the mic slightly. It took me a good 18 months to get this right in my room - remember, every room is different so it may not work for you...

Last edited:
Put the mic first in the middle (1) to split the differences (levels, delays) and
then take some measurements in the approximate pattern (2-8) shown to cover the
listening area while staying away from side walls and extreme off-axis positions.
And note that the measurement positions don't need to be actual seating
positions.

Attachments

• audyssey3.JPG
    audyssey3.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 5,038
When I was messing about with REW (frequency measuring software), I found that doing one position gave the best base response at that position which makes sense, because if you do more than one position, Audyssey will try and give a reasonable response for all the positions you measure so the main position will be compromised.

Audyssey is designed to do just that...but without compromising the main position.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom