Question Onkyo 818 - silent (but not always). VERY strange.

robonkyo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. Since a few days my Onkyo is showing a very strange behaviour. It worked perfectly. Then one day I switch it on, everything seems working perfectly but no sound is produced (neither by loudspeakers nor by headphones). If I disconnect from the mains for a long time OR If I switch it off and on several times, *occasionally* (not systematically!) it gets back to its normal behaviour. If I reset it by pressing CBL/SAT + Power it goes back to factory default, I can use the initial setup menus OK, it works OK for a while but then after few hours goes back to silent faulty mode. I updated it with the latest firmware (24-09-2015) but that did not solve the problems. After a few hours, same behaviour...

Any help PLEASE? Thanks!

Last edited:
Maybe enquire about getting it repaired or buy a new reciever.

Sounds like the HDMI board failing. It's a known fault on the 818 . there is a link on the Onkyo website telling you what you need to do , you need to enter the serial number and it will advise if its covered under the Onkyo repair program. If it is they will arrange to have it picked up and provide you with a box if needed. From reading other posts the turn around time is about 10 days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom