Onkyo 818. Check SP Wire

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jagdeepp, Aug 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Ok, lovely mild sunday afternoon and I decide to watch a movie with the family.

Put the PJ on, switch on the onkyo receiver.. suddenly - POP and check SP wire comes up on the screen. A few seconds later a burning smell.

the power amp i have on loan from a forum member wasn't switched on. That had remained off. Now the receiver will only switch on for a couple of seconds, show the volume sign and then switch itself off. The receiver is also giving off a god awful metal smell. I suspect a resistor has blown.

I've shut it down and will go ahead and unplug all wires which are connected bare and re-wire. It's strange. I've not moved to reciever at all. Suddenly , a loud pop and its shut itself down. Think the reciever may now be toast. Will report back. If so, it looks like I'll be taking it back to Richer Sounds. I've had one Onkyo in the past, a resistor failed on that too. Oh well.. wish me luck chaps! Thats my sunday movie gone down the pan.. :facepalm:

2. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,419
    that a bit of a bummer Jag

they`ll replace it for you i`d have thought though, shame your far away i`d have loaned you something

Allan :smashin:

3. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Ok, quick update. It's toast.

Turned the receiver round, undid all speaker wire. Made sure nothing was making contact with the rear of the Amp. Wire's are connected bare. None are touching one another. Checked all speaker contacts and the rear.

Switched on the receiver and it shows up the volume sign. It stays on for around 5 seconds. I can change inputs in those few seconds. I held the power button for 7 seconds to see if it would stay on. Suddenly, a bright orange light from within the receiver. Not only sparks but this time it looked like it was about to start a fire! I blew on it for a few seconds. Following some strong pungent looking smoke from what look like the resistors it died down. RIP Onkyo. I've only had it for a matter of weeks. It's probably been played for under 20 hours thus far. I can't understand what's happened. Faulty unit surely. The connections all appear to be fine. It's all conneced to a surge protected socket. The PJ, PC and PS3 were and are running totally fine. I won't switch on the power amp as it's not owned by me. I'll reconnect the Arcam I guess.

Hopefully Richer Sounds will give me a refund? I think i've had it for over 28 days.

4. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Thanks for your reply and very generous offer Allan. Seriously appreciated. The goodwill and kindness on these forums is so humbling. If only there were more like you guys.... Ridiculously big spenders on AV gear.. we'd be well out of a recession! :laugh: Gotta laugh!

Thanks again Allan.

I'd seriously like to know what went wrong here. Almost had a fire. I didn't just see sparks, flames were coming out of the thing! Not sure I could afford such a risk in future.... Maybe revert back to Arcam or try out Anthem perhaps.

5. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,419
    as long as all your speaker connections were ok then i`d have to go with an internal short on one of the amlifier outputs, I doubt its a power supply fault as part of the avr still powers up, or did

i`ve personally never experienced this with an Onkyo but have on quite a few other makes over the last 40 odd years so its not an isolated case rest assured

hope you get it sorted asap :smashin:

6. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Been thinking about this all evening... I physically watched a fire start inside the Onkyo.. It took a few seconds of seriously blowing and fanning for it to go out. The unit has been disconnected from the mains.

Surely the unit should have gone into protection mode and just cut out? It initially made a very loud pop with my rear speakers. The unit gave off a lot of smoke. It was left for a short while. When switched back on a couple of times a large resistor seemed to self combust! It was on fire.

I've just been back in the theatre and I can still smell it. It can't be a power thing, it's connected via a surge protector. Everything else was running fine. I was last in ther just the last weekend. I watched the second half of 'The Pianist' and then some music video's. It's not been touched since. No speaker cable or wiring has been touched. I'm careful to make sure no bare wires touch.

Whilst i'm glad i was alone in the outbuilding and that it wasn't attached to my house, I do worry that an amp like this can self-combust in this fashion. It runs hot anyway. It hadn't been on for more than 4 minutes when this happened.

I think I may have lost confidence in Onkyo. That smoke I inhaled was probably quite damn lethal. Not impressed. I'll voice my concerns to Onkyo UK. :( Just glad my Mrs and daughter weren't in the room when this all happened..

7. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Richer Sounds have been a bit of a let down so far. Contacted my local branch in Eton on Monday. Informed that they'd get back to me and could swap one over. Not heard anything back at all.

Called today and it turns out he'd got a digit of my telephone number wrong. Funny that as I asked him to repeat it back the other day and he did, nothing wrong with the number recorded.

Anyway, apparently none left in stock anywhere and the 818 is discontinued. They are happy to send it back to Onkyo for me but it will be around 4 weeks before its returned. I've asked if i could have the one on display instore. That's been sold they say. Because I've had it for 6 weeks they aren't apparently obliged to take it back and exchange. I didn't take out the extended super warranty. Pardon me, I've never previously had an amp explode on me.

Best case scenario they say is a refund. I don't want a refund as I can't get a amp to that value elsewhere. I was thinking of paying out a few hundred more and going down the anthem route but I don't expect it will be much better than the 818.

I've looked online and can see they have 818's in other branches! The branch are however saying that they won't transfer over to another store... I guess they all have store sales targets. The chap has said he'll call the other branch for me and revert back to me. Perhaps I should have called the store myself instead. So, here I am..stomach bug, off sick from work and could be sat in the theatre in my jim jams with a pack of rennie and some mint tea watching a movie. Instead I'm sat in front of the box watching loose women.

Richer Sounds, you've let me down.

8. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Ok, a few calls later and Eton seem to have found an ex display in stock. Condition is fine. A couple of very fine scratches but they've thrown in a 5 year warranty for peace of mind which is a nice touch. Hopefully this one wont set alight in future. Lol

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  9. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    Great deal that they threw in the 5yr warranty as you only get 2yrs Onkyo factory warranty normally.:thumbsup:

10. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Right... Now I'm angry....

A WHOLE HOUR setting it up. Bare wire used to keep it all as pure as possible. These damn things are built so badly. To connect the speaker you've got to feed the bare wire from underneath. This takes a lot of time and patience!

Connected it all up.. Switched the mother on. The front flap that glides forward smoothly just fell forward with an awful sound. I'd not noticed this instore. It looked a tad grubby but it was ex-display and will be hidden away.. The sound however made it obvious it had been badly handled. Immediately when checking the various hdmi connection settings it struck me as bizarre that they had all been preset.. There was : virgin tv, blueray (spelt wrong so an amateur), PS3, Xbox 360 and TV. Immediately i questioned.. how on gods earth could this be an ex display with all these presets?!

I then went through the initial setup. Attached my audyssey mic. Blank. Left speaker not recognised or connected. But it was! Played my HTPC and on all channel stereo there was sound from every speaker. Tried again.. blank! This isn't an ex-display. It's a damaged return. Not within the 28 days either. That alone was evident from the manner in which the flap fell forward.

The response from RS? 'Oh, sorry about that. We'll make some calls and come back to you".. Thats the trouble. No one does. No responses. I've had to call and chase up each and everytime! I've explained that I refuse to accept a refund, I want my 818 and nothing less. I'm Not paying a premium for the model up which itself will drop down to £599 in a couple of months. I've already been told that they can't source anything from another store for me as theres a transfer ban between stores. The Reading store have an ex-display thats got some scratches. They've offered it to me. It's a 40+ mile return trip. It's ex-display. Why should i travel.

I refuse to shop in RS again. So frustrated!

11. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Also just noticed that the sales sticker on the front of the amp appears to be for an entirely different amp. It states 180w x 7. Thats surely not correct.

I am seething. The guy hasn't returned a single call so far. 4 calls today and 4 promises of 'i'll get back to you'. I demanded he update me before 6pm. Nothing.. I'm getting on the phone!:mad:

12. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    Not very good service is it, I think unless they can get a new one (or deffo ex display) I would see what you can get an Anthem MRX300 for and if you can get one for around £800/850 I would get a refund and go for one of those personally.

The ARC is better than the XT32 supposedly and once all the 818's have gone you won't get an XT32 amp for under well over £1k.

13. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Called the store. They can't source one. There's a transfer ban with some stores. I've explained that internal policies are not my problem. Best case scenario is to send off my original amp for repairs. I'm able to hold onto this damaged one in the meantime they say. It seems to run and the fault lies in the fact that the Audyssey mic doesn't work. I guess i could do a manual calibration.

I'm told the amp will be sent off with a wait of around 6 weeks for the repair. It's beyond repair. I could tell you that. The components are burnt out. They won't acquire the parts to repair it as the model is now discontinued. An obvious eventuality and by that stage there will be no way to ameliate the situation other than to offer me the next model up which is in fact a siginificant step back for Onkyo. I guess I'll have to wait some 6 weeks to be told that. Totally and utterly hopeless.

14. mbbx0bbr

mbbx0bbr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have just bought an 818 today from RS leeds. I have not got it all hooked up yet but I hope mine works.

I had a faulty 616 in the past and they replaced it.

Can you still get a full refund and buy from another store? Try Exceptional AV, they are £600 there.

15. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Thanks buddy, Exceptional AV seem to be offering it for the same price I'd paid and I pass through Maidenhead quite regularly. This may be ideal. I really don't fancy driving back into Eton and lugging this amp back in there. I'll give it till tomorrow and see if this has been resolved. I've pm'd a RS rep who i hope can pull some strings to try and resolve this. I'm still seething at the fact that I was given a returned damaged model which they misrepresented as an ex-display. Someone with less av experience could've been fooled.

16. Deleted member 598831

Deleted member 598831

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my mate is a manager at a RS, I will give him a ring in the morning, I know he has an 818 in stock with a reserve on it (by me) see if there is anything I can do.

17. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Oh the goodwill of forum members. Mate, that is such a very kind gesture. If it's reserved for you, please take it.

I'm in the theatre at the moment and I've had another go at the audyssey. It's now working! There was a small bit of something seemingly in the setup mic socket. Looked like some cloth residue or something or another. I put my dyson towards it and it sucked! The setup mic is now working. Happy days!

I've gone through the initial setup and calibrated the speakers. Also renamed the HDMI's, this time properly spelt. Bit of a pain having to go through each and every setting again. Whats more awkwards is that everything had been customised by the last user. Why couldn't RS have done a factory reset on accepting the return? I may never otherwise have realised.

I'll be speaking to the store in the morning to give them the update. I would still insist on a new one as the flap on this one is flimsy and heavily used. It's been used for more than 28 days i'm sure! The fact that it may take 6+ weeks may not be such a bad thing. I can't fathom the thought of reconnecting an amp up all over again. It's not a simple process and takes alot of tweaking to get it set up right.

Again, thanks Steven that was a very kind offer indeed. You go ahead and take it for yourself. When working properly its a great amp. When it goes wrong it could be equally useful at a fireworks display!

18. Deleted member 598831

Deleted member 598831

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im in no rush, and may not even go ahead with it as I use my 2 channel amp for stereo and to power the fronts. Just liked the idea of x32, and wondered what it would sound like compared to 2 channel, then got into a bit of a heat with another forum member (my bad) but to be fair he did point a few things out.

Its on hold for a few weeks, so if you cant get the flap sorted I could get it in your name and courier it etc.

Steve

19. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Quick update on my situation:
    Spoke to Richer Sounds subsequently. Had a chat with a very friendly guy from customer services who indicated that they would resolve the situation to my satisfaction. They did. I was kept updated throughout. The net result of this is that the team went out of their way and sent a courier across to me this morning to collect the last reciever and deliver a brand new one in place. The chap from my local store also called to arranged collection. Very professional throughout.

Am I now a satisfied customer of Richer Sounds? Oh yes! They've now gone out of their way to resolve matters. Will i go back for goods in future? Most definitely. I can't blame anyone for the reciever that self combusted. It was a part of life I guess.

I'll set up my 3rd Onkyo 818 tonight.. :suicide: As sad and depressing as that sounds, it's always kinda fun!

Have a good weekend chaps! I'm off to the office to get some work done. Weekends are the only point I can get my admin and case preparation done without the phone ringing every 30 seconds.

20. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,546
    Result Jags!

Whilst not commenting on this thread until now, I have been following it, as, like you, I bought my 818 from RS. I have gone for the 5 year warranty though.

I had previously read such good things about RS customer service, that I was a little perturbed to read about your initial experiences. I'm glad for you that it has been resolved well in the end, and for the rest of that use RS, it gives a little more confidence that if things do go pear shaped, a satisfactory outcome will be found.

Weekend? Ah yes, I vaguely remember those! At least in my 'office' the phones don't work! :D

21. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Glad to hear you got a satisfactory resolution in the end - RS seem not to be alone in needing chasing to resolve things, but you got there in the end! :)

22. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Thanks chaps.

Connected the onkyo up last night. Works perfectly. Just like my original one did.
    Received calls from both the store and customer services asking if I was happy with everything. I am indeed. The peace of mind is also brilliant! Hereon, I'll be purchasing the 5 year warranty with everything from RS. You never know with electricals. Equally, I'd say that I have never seen customer service respond so rapidly and positively with anything else I've ever had issue with. Rs were seriously impressive after that first blip.

23. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,546
    Brilliant! That's really nice to know!:thumbsup: