Onkyo 809 OR Monitor audio RXFX & RX Centre?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by feynmann2, Dec 28, 2011.

1. feynmann2

feynmann2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,

I've got around £700 for a system upgrade this sale season so I'm wondering if anyone can help me with which will give the most bang for my buck...

Current set up is:
    Denon 3805
    Mission 753 - fronts
    MK LCR850C - centre
    Mission 781 - rears
    Mission 760 - effects
    Mission 78AS - subwoofer

Should I
    a) update my amp to the onkyo 809
    b) update my rears & centre to Monitor audio silver RXFX & RX centre
    c) do something I haven't though of

anybody got any thoughts??

Cheers

M

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    I'd concentrate on the amp before looking at the speakers. Your current amp is starting to lag in terms on connection and decoding abilities. Not too sure about the Onkyo being the best replacement though? Have you heard one or is there something specific about it you want?

3. feynmann2

feynmann2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dante,

No, not heard one just following the reviews at the price point - do you have another suggestion?

I've kinda lost track of the latest best in class decoding etc. (as you can probably tell by looking at my kit!), its quite a big room so I need something that can fill space??

4. Goldenbone

Goldenbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You certainly can't go wrong with the monitor audio speakers - but I'd upgrade the receiver first as well.

I went with Yamaha, but I'm sure you'll get good results from one of the other brands as well. I can tell you that my Yamaha receiver matches the MA speakers really well.

edit: I went with the Yamaha 2067, but I'm kicking myself, because 3 months later, the 3067 is about the same price.. oh well..

5. feynmann2

feynmann2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gb - do you guys think that I will need to go the whole hog on the amp or would I be better going for a £4-500 amp and either the centre or the FX speakers?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    As above, look out for a Yamaha RXV3067 if you can still find one. These are now discontinued but offer excellent value for money. They originally sold for nearly £1500 and can be had now for £850:

Yamaha RX-V3067 11.2-channel AV receiver RXV3067 with 8 in/2 out HDMI (V.1.4a with 3D and Audio Return Channel), HD Audio decoding with CINEMA DSP 3D - Quantum Electronics (UK) Limited

Another option would be the Marantz SR7005 for £850, but the Yamaha is a better deal in my opinion:

Marantz SR7005

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    I'd want to spend more than £500 in order to at least match your current amp in terms of SQ. You ideally need to be looking at amps costing £800 upwards.

You can update the speakers in stages and you're not forced to replace them all in one go.

8. Goldenbone

Goldenbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Personally, I'd do it in chunks, and try to avoid compromise on any single component, but it's very much a case of personal choice.

My last receiver upgrade was from a midrange Yamaha rxv765 to a higher end rxv2067. I got much more power and just a plain better sound from my speakers, and also network connectivity and more HDMI in's and out's. Receivers tend to get fairly deep discount when a new range comes out (and they come out every year without fail).

My advice would be to look at getting a 'last years model' at just the right time to save loads on the original RRP. Best example I can see of this just now is the Yamaha rxv3067 - which is less than half it's original price. That way you don't compromise on the amplification stage, and you get 90% of the bells and whistles of the newest models. There's now been a couple of years of HDMI 1.4 compatible amps, so you can even get a 3d compatible one on close out.

9. feynmann2

feynmann2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow thanks both, thats very helpful - I'm checking out the two amps as we speak, will feel sorry to retire my faithful old Denon, maybe I can find enough old kit to put it into service for the junior members of the family!

If you have any more thoughts please keep them coming :)

10. feynmann2

feynmann2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well guys serendipity rules...was searching for details of the amps you suggested and stumbled across an ex-demo Marantz SR7005 for £699 - it even looks pretty!

Thanks again for your help - I'll let you know how I get on with the upgrade

M

11. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Also when upgrading the speakers in the future I would look to replace the front 3 at the same time and not get a centre and rears. This is because you want the front 3 to be a good tonal match which is best achieved by having the same make/model. Also the front 3 speakers take around 80% or more of the total sound output so this is where the money would be best spent to get the biggest gains.

12. feynmann2

feynmann2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PSM1,

I've always avoided upgrading my front speakers because I simply don't think I can afford to better my 753's - I'd be interested to know what you or anyone else think would be a good replacement for them?

13. Goldenbone

Goldenbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Auditioning is the only way you're going to get to become more familiar with your options. Personally, I started off auditioning the MA BX bronze range, and ended up buying Silver RX speakers.

What you listen to is going to be governed largely by budget. See what you demos you can get in local hi-fi shops, maybe take along your old missions for comparison. You might come away having heard a striking (and positive) difference, you might not.. I did, so I bought.

As PSM1 says, leave the surrounds til last, you'll notice the difference in them the least. Also, they're not so important to have matching the front 3, so you can leave them til a good bit later if money won't stretch.

You could have a listen to Dali, Monitor Audio, B&W, KEF etc. - Honestly, you should try to listen to as many as possible before you buy. I think it's such a personal thing, it's hard to be specific.

Good luck!

14. feynmann2

feynmann2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gb, you're right of course... my 753's hold a place dear in my heart as they were the first piece of 'proper hifi' I bought after I started my first job (20ish years ago!) and were a massive luxury at the time so I probably hold them in higher esteem than they deserve.... time to get back out there and have a listen!

15. Goldenbone

Goldenbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You never know.. There's been loads of advances in material science in the last 20 years, but unlike a lot of tech, speakers definitely don't just become obsolete in the usual sense. I'm willing to bet you'll find nicer speakers than your old ones, but it might not be a walk in the park :)

It'll be fun though, getting immersed in the different options is one of the really enjoyable bits of the hobby, directly opposed to paying the credit card bills!

16. feynmann2

feynmann2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - I'm now having a panic attack about my amp working with my TV Pioneer PDP504 HDE as I've had problems with HDMI connections before (sky works Sony blu ray doesn't)...still there are plenty of upgrades there too!

17. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    Remember to set the output of HD devices to 720p or 1080i max if wanting to view their output via your TV. Your TV hasn't the capabilities to handle 1080p and this is probably why you've not been able to use your BD player with it? HD TV is broadcast at 1080i, but Blu-ray has a native res of 1080p. You can configure your player to use a lesser output resolution such as 720p or 1080i.

18. feynmann2

feynmann2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dante - the great news is that my Blu Ray and TV now play together.....whether this is due to passing them through the Marantz or the firmware upgrade I did while taking advantage of having the room in pieces (no easy wired access to the network in my living room - til tomorrow!) its impossible to say...but it will make my better half more amicable towards the new Amp so its getting the credit!!
    As for the screen - yep its v. long in the tooth now but I still love the image - another piece of tech where the heart is controlling the head...maybe next year (it is only 3 days away)
    As for the Amp - first impressions are that it is brighter than my Denon (surprisingly) but the rear channels seem to have more detail...still playing with the settings