Onkyo 806 accept ARC?

thevr6

Established Member
Ok so after 4 hours off playing i am asking for help! Never been let down before by you guys!

Ok so I have an onkyo 806, ps4, sky HD and Sony 55w9. Currently they all go directly to the tv via hdmi with the optical output of the tv going back to the amp for audio. Clearly this way the best audio I get is Dolby digital. I'm doing this because my amp suffers the blue dot issue so I now just want to use it for audio and not to pas all hdmi signals through. I really want to get Dolby hd as my amp supports it but I know the only way is via hdmi.

I have connected an hdmi from hdmi 1 (arc enabled) on the tv to any of the imputs on the amp and nothing comes out. Not even stereo. I have played with the settings on the tv and amp but it doesn't like it nor show it is receiving anything.

So my question is how do I get my system to play Dolby HD? Does the amp accept it?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
ARC only works with 1.4HDMI enabled devices and only on the output from the receiver. So it will not work the way you have wired it. Since your receiver is not 1.4 HDMI enabled you can no get ARC to work with it. Also ARC only supports the same formats as optical so even if you did have an ARC enabled receiver you would still not get HD audio. The only way to get HD audio is to connect the source direct to the receiver via HDMI.

thevr6

Established Member
Thank you. That all makes complete sense. So currently then with this amp I am stuck with Dolby digital. Guess it is time to upgrade then!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G3 MLA OLED Evo Best Picture Settings - works for ALL 2023 LG OLEDs
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Back
Top Bottom