Onkyo 805, new 3DTV & PS3 - 3d & lossless audio questions.

Sniper

Due to a series of events I ended up replacing my TV (new 3D one is on the way), and i also got my hands on a PS3 'slim'.

My current amp is an Onkyo 805, so HDMI 1.3a so no 3d ... i've read many threads on this forums .... seems like I have to choose between 3D and Lossless ... both are out of the question.

Is that correct?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Due to a series of events I ended up replacing my TV (new 3D one is on the way), and i also got my hands on a PS3 'slim'.

My current amp is an Onkyo 805, so HDMI 1.3a so no 3d ... i've read many threads on this forums .... seems like I have to choose between 3D and Lossless ... both are out of the question.

Is that correct?

You'll not get both simultaneously via any HDMI 1.3 equipped AV amp. You could consider doing away with the PS3 for 3D playback in favour of a 3D player with dual HDMI output. You'd use this player to facilitate 3D video via one output to a 3D display while also accessing the HD audio via the other HDMI output to your AV amp.

Sniper

Yeah - that's what i thought ... gonna have to choose between lossless and 3d .... for now it'll be 3d till the novelty wears off!

I tried to look for an HDMI splitter that would present a 1.3 signal to the amp ... and a 1.4 signal to the tv - but then i read that the lossless stream is not in the same 'location' on 3d stuff ... so the splitter would have to be way more intellegent! Can't find a product that does that ... all splitters present the lowest common standard from both outputs.

If there is such a product please someone point me to it.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yeah - that's what i thought ... gonna have to choose between lossless and 3d .... for now it'll be 3d till the novelty wears off!

I tried to look for an HDMI splitter that would present a 1.3 signal to the amp ... and a 1.4 signal to the tv - but then i read that the lossless stream is not in the same 'location' on 3d stuff ... so the splitter would have to be way more intellegent! Can't find a product that does that ... all splitters present the lowest common standard from both outputs.

If there is such a product please someone point me to it.

You'd need a matrix as opposed to a splitter. This product is supposed to do as you wish, but I cannot personally vouch for it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-HDMI-...0R02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340189732&sr=8-1

Sniper

From what I read not even an hdmi matrix will do this! Can't say I've read anything 100% conclusive thou'.

Does anyone know if PS3 will send DTS @ 1.5 Mbit over optical for any DTS-MA/HD source? What about the DD HD formats - what will be sent over optical? DD 640k?

dante01

Distinguished Member
From what I read not even an hdmi matrix will do this! Can't say I've read anything 100% conclusive thou'.

Does anyone know if PS3 will send DTS @ 1.5 Mbit over optical for any DTS-MA/HD source? What about the DD HD formats - what will be sent over optical? DD 640k?

You'll get the higher core 1.5Mbs via optical if playing Blu-rays with a DTS HD Master Audio soundtrack. You just get bog standard DD if the disc is encoded with Dolby TRueHD. You'd not be able to output Dolby TrueHD audio in conjunction with 3D if using a PS3 anyway. The PS3 cannot output 3D sequential video and TRueHD audio simultaneously.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom