Onkyo 708 as good as 608 & 808....?!?

ranakirti

The Onkyo 608 and 808 have been declared World Champions in their respective price category. :clap:

They are the Reigning, Defending, Undisputed Masters over other AVR's in their price class....:thumbsup:

I'm looking at the 708 as it has multeq and i dont need the extra zone features and power of 808. But i cant find any reviews of the 708.

So can i assume that the 708 is as good as it's brothers....?!?

Very confused... :confused: Thanks

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
You seem to be asking this questions in so many threads, it's hard to keep track! :D

Are you waiting for one that gives you the answer you want? (Whatever that is?)

As I've mentioned before, you can't decide on amp level withouth considering the level of the speakers you plan to use with it. Have you decided on the speakers yet?

The Onkyo 608 and 708 have been declared World Champions in their respective price category.

How can you know that if you can't find reviews of the 708?

Last edited:

ranakirti

That was a typo I corrected it now...

Yes sir, I'm more confused than a teenage girl....:D

Speakers are PSB Image B6 + C5 + S5 + SVS PC12 NSD

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Image-Series

I'm very keen on the 708 but I can't seem to make up my mind. I'm the kind of guy who needs to read a review before I buy anything....

I don't know whether assuming that the 708 is as good as 608 & 808 is correct or not..... I wonder....:confused:

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Speakers are PSB Image B6 + C5 + S5 + SVS PC12 NSD
:

According to anothet post you made, you were going for either the MA RX1 or RX6. Any reason for the change? I know nothing about the PSB speakers and don't know what level amp is needed.

ranakirti

I considered rx1 based 5.1 package but I read so many people reporting excessive bass boom.

Psb speakers are neutral in their sound. The front will be bookshelves. I guess the sound quality is better than MA BX series but lower than RX series.

So I trying to pair them with bright onkyo. I also considered yamaha rx v1067 & 2067 but my research tells me that the audessey multeq is superior by a margin to yamaha's Ypao.

Also multeq does calibaration & equalization for the subwoofer which ypao does not do.

My setup will be in my living room Which I believe is less than ideal for a HT so I'm betting than the multeq in Onkyo will be a better bet.

The price diff between 708 & 808 is quite substantial.

If only I could find a excellent review on 708 I can go for it wholeheartedly...!!!

dante01

Distinguished Member
I considered rx1 based 5.1 package but I read so many people reporting excessive bass boom.

Psb speakers are neutral in their sound. The front will be bookshelves. I guess the sound quality is better than MA BX series but lower than RX series.

So I trying to pair them with bright onkyo. I also considered yamaha rx v1067 & 2067 but my research tells me that the audessey multeq is superior by a margin to yamaha's Ypao.

Also multeq does calibaration & equalization for the subwoofer which ypao does not do.

My setup will be in my living room Which I believe is less than ideal for a HT so I'm betting than the multeq in Onkyo will be a better bet.

The price diff between 708 & 808 is quite substantial.

If only I could find a excellent review on 708 I can go for it wholeheartedly...!!!

My research suggests turning Audessey completely off gives the most favourable results. I'm hazarding that you highly regard the opinion of What Hifi due to your initial claims made about the 808 and 608? What Hifi recommend you turn Audessey off and say so when reviewing both models ;)

Why not simply go listen to the amps for yourself?

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Iut my research tells me that the audessey multeq is superior by a margin to yamaha's Ypao.

Interesting; I've read several coments (even reviews) that suggest amps with Audessy sound better with audessy turned off, but I've never read that about the Yamaha YAPO.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member

ranakirti

My research suggests turning Audessey completely off gives the most favourable results. I'm hazarding that you highly regard the opinion of What Hifi due to your initial claims made about the 808 and 608? What Hifi recommend you turn Audessey off and say so when reviewing both models ;)

Why not simply go listen to the amps for yourself?

dante,

Yes, i hold what hifi reviews in very high regard, specially coz most of the times when ever i read a review about a product from them and then did demo for the product , the review turned out to be spot on...!!

So i trust their reviews. What about you ? Which are other trustworthy websites for home theater & hifi reviews in uk ?

So i went back to whathifi website and re-read reviews for both the 608 & 808 and they never mentioned to switch the audessey off. Though i dont have the magazine copy of the reviews and i'm not sure if they mentioned that in there.

Also i guess they do their demos in a dedicated sound treated Home Theater Room so maybe the calibration is not so important in there as it is in a normal persons living room or bed room.

Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Interesting; I've read several coments (even reviews) that suggest amps with Audessy sound better with audessy turned off, but I've never read that about the Yamaha YAPO.

dante & dick,

both of you say it sounds better with audessey turned off. :) My research till now points out that it makes the sound much better when it's on. So this has me totally confused :confused:

I'll have to re-research all over again.... :D

But you both are senior, respected & experienced members with a wealth of knowledge which i have always seen you share with others. You both have helped me a lot with my other threads and queries also. I'm not trying to argue or challenge your comments but i certainly would ask you with due respect to provide some links with reviews which say that audessey off is better than audessey on.

dick,

i read that post and i kind of conclude that one can achieve "NO Boom Bass" with the RX1 as long as careful placement is done. Now i dont wanna take a chance with that coz i dont know if i can get the placement right. These Speakers are expensive and i dont want to make a mistake. If their is alternative speaker then please suggest.

Although i wonder why people in uk dont have much awareness for canadian speakers like PSB & Paradigm. I dont see reviews of them here. Are they available in uk ?

Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
As I've already suggested, maybe a good idea you go audition these amps along with others and the RX speakers?

As far as What Hifi are concerned, I read the reviews, but wouldn't follow their conclusions to the letter. I see no reason to religiously believe or trust a magazine that still insists on rating HDMI cable on their picture and sound quality. If they can be so misleading in regards to HDMI why should I believe anything else they say? By all means use the reviews as guidance, but don't regard them as being the last word.

From the Onkyo TXNR808 What Hifi magazine review, November 2010:
Experiment with the Audyssey MultiEQ equalisation. We found the amp sounded better with Audyssey switched off.

Last edited:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
dick,

both of you say it sounds better with audessey turned off. :) My research till now points out that it makes the sound much better when it's on. So this has me totally confused :confused:

I was careful with my words; It wasn't a categorical, 'Does sound better with audesy off'. I used the word 'suggest' and 'several'.

The point I was making, is that I've never seen a similar comment about Yamaha's YAPO making the sound worse

I posted that because of your comment:

I also considered yamaha rx v1067 & 2067 but my research tells me that the audessey multeq is superior by a margin to yamaha's Ypao.

If my memory serves me correctly, What hifi also said that about Audessy on last years Denon amps; maybe it was elsewhere, but i've definitely seen references to disabling audessy can make the amp sound better.

Audessy is well respected, but to make such claims of it's advantages over over yamaha's YAPO seemed strange.

Originally Posted by dicklodge
Interesting; I've read several coments (even reviews) that suggest amps with Audessy sound better with audessy turned off, but I've never read that about the Yamaha YAPO

ranakirti

dante & dick,

thanks to both....

uv431232 from another thread said this... he heard both 708 & 1067...

"The Onkyo gives a forceful feel to its projection - this doesn't mean it won't be good for all types of tv (you mention dramas, etc) but it means it is well suited to big action and if you like your movies loud and gutsy then it probably would be a good choice. What it misses is the finer detail - for instance i was demo'ing it with Die Hard 4 which had a scene with glass smashing - with the Onkyo you heard the glass smash but with the Yamaha and Pioneer you hear every single splinter hit the ground."

I'd go for more detail over a little loss in punch any day.

Hence i've dropped the idea of onkyo and now concentrating on yamaha rx v series...!! Now my only dilema left is to be able to choose between 1067 or 2067. But since i'm gonna be using bookshelves for fronts i might consider the 1067 also.

see... I dont really need the superior video chip of the 2000. I'm more concerned about sound quality & sound output....

1067 is rated 105 watts

2027 is rated 130 watts.

I read somewhere that if we need to double power we need 10 times more watts. So to if 1 = 100 watts then 2 = 1000 watts.

1. So here there is a difference of only 25 watts....!!! So how much difference can 25 watts of 2067 make over 1067 as far "sound quality & sound output" is concerned....??

Which one & why...?

Thanks once again to both the masters... :)

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
This may not be scientific, but here's how I would choose.

First consider functionality. If the 2067 has more functionality that you want/need over the 1067, then get the 2067. If not, the 1067 will be fine

But for me, the main consideration would be speakers. If you're going to be running speakers with the front pair costing up to £350, then the 1067 will be fine. For speakers up to around £500, the 1067 will be fine, but it's possible they would sound better with the 2067. For speakers above £500, I'd get the 2067.

One thing to bear in mind is that it's possible that in the future you may want to upgrade your speakers and if you have an amp able to handle them, you can do that without worrying about an amp upgrade to drive them. I remember when the MA RS range were being sold off at around half price, I was glad I had an amp capable of driving them so that I could take advantage of a pretty rare bargain offer.

Also, if you are undecided, and you have the budget, you won't be having second thoughts/regrets on your decision if you get the 2067; you may have if you got the 1067.

I know that some of the above is based on possible future 'what ifs' as well as current planned kit, but I personally factor that in to my purchasing decisions (budget allowing).

Last edited:

ranakirti

my front speakers are within £350 so 1067 should be fine.... but regardless of that will the 2067 still give a better sound than 1067 if my front speakers were within £350...?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom