Onkyo 674 - purple tint from SKY+HD box - help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ric_A, May 14, 2016.

1. Ric_A

Ric_A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm after some help.

I have an Onkyo TX SR674 receiver, purchased just over 9 years ago. It has done me sterling service.
    However, we have had our house refurbished, so all my AV kit was packed away for a couple of months, and on unpacking I now have a problem:

My SKY+HD box, when connected through my Onkyo receiver via HDMI, produces an image with a purple tint across the whole screen.
    My PS3 connection is fine when connected through my Onkyo receiver via HDMI.

I have switched both the PS3 and SKY+box over to use the other HDMI inputs on the receiver.
    I have also switched the cables over, and tried a third cable, with consistent results.

If I plug the SKY+HD box straight into my TV, without using the receiver, there is no purple tint. However, this means I'm not taking any sound into the receiver. I am not keen to do this (even with an optical cable), as my TV only has one HDMI input, so would have to constantly change the cables over to switch between SKY+HD and PS3.

Has anyone else experienced this, or got any tips?
    Thanks,
    Ric

2. fxv300

fxv300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    HDMI has many Data channels and if one of the channel's circuitry is not working properly you may be missing colours (simila to a VGA cable which carried GBR signals). If you tried different cables try different inputs on the AV to see if the problem is your AV.

Be interesting to follow this topic.

3. Ric_A

Ric_A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, tried different cables, and different HDMI input ports on the receiver (PS3 works fine in either, SKY+ box not in either). Sound is fine, just the purple tint issue from the SKY+box.

4. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918
    HDMI handshake issue... does switching input away from Sky box to another input and back help? (It should force the AVR and sky box to renegotiate)

I have a small TV that does similar purple screen on any HDMI source but an AV input switch fixes it.

May also be worth checking the Sky box video output format is supported by the amp?