Onkyo 646 & Nvidia TV Pro

mushtafa

I need assistance please.

Bought a second hand Nvidia Shield TV Pro to replace the FireTV Stick 4K.

I connected the Shield in place of the Firestick, HDMI 3 (STRM BOX HDCP 2.2).

I booted the Shield but immediately after the splash screen the image was flashing and flickering. Even setting the AV receiver to a different input I was unable to view the OSD menu with all the flashing.
Switching the Shield off would stop the issue.

I've tried 2 HDMI cables. I'm sure they're both up to spec (not sure how to tell).

After swapping it to another HDMI input (HDMI 4 PC) it's working fine. The TV is reporting 2160P 60HZ.

1. Why is it doing this? - How can I fix it?

2. Will it make much difference not being in the HDCP2.2 port? I assumed I needed that one for 4K - but the TV is reporting 4k playback.

dante01

Distinguished Member
If the input being used isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant then you will not be able to passthrough commercial 4K UHD video sources. This will effect almost all 4K UHD services hosting native 4K content.

mushtafa

So I've just connected my PC to the receiver and having issues with that as well. I get the same flashing/flickering when connected to the HDCP2.2 ports, but not on the older ports. It does default to 1080p though on the older ports

dante01

Distinguished Member
If accessing UHD encoded video via Amazon then you are not passing that video through the AV receiver and out to the TV is the input in question isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant. THe source will simply downscale the video to HD if the AV receiver isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant. This is why you are only getting 1080p.

Is the TV fully HDCP 2.2 compliant. Are all of its inputs HDCP 2.2 compliant?

You say that you tried different cables, but have you tried changing both the cables between the source and the AVR as well as the cable between the AVT and the TV? How long are these cables?

Does the AV receiver have an enhanced video mode? Ensure that this is engaged if it does. Also ensure that the TV's input has its DEpp Colour or UHD mide engaged.

mushtafa

TV: LG 55'' LG ULTRA HD 4K TV | LG UK

Receiver: TX-NR646 | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website

The TV is set to HDMI 2 (ARC) marked [email protected] I can't see any mention of the HDCP version at the moment.

This is connected to the Onkyo 'Main Out (ARC)' port. Cable is about 2m long.

Originally I had;

HDMI 1 (HDCP2.2) PS4
HDMI 2 (HDCP2.2) Sky Q
HDMI 3 (HDCP2.2) FireTV Stick 4K.

Everything worked as it should. The PS4 was rarely used so sold, the Sky was too expensive so was removed today, the Firestick was problematic to upgraded to the Shield, and while the equipment is pulled out, I'm adding the PC input to the receiver.

If I connect the Shield or PC to any of the HDCP2.2 inputs I get the flashing/flickering.
Connected to the other ports and it's good.

So currently have;

HDMI 4 PC (connected at 3840x2160 @ 60hz)
HDMI 5 Shield (the TV is reporting 4k playback)

Does the AV receiver have an enhanced video mode? Ensure that this is engaged if it does. Also ensure that the TV's input has its DEpp Colour or UHD mide engaged.

The TV has 'Ultra HD Deep Colour' enabled.
I can't see many settings inn the AV receiver at all

dante01

Distinguished Member
I can only suggest an HDMI conflict of some description aoccuring with the Shield?

Have you tried simply powering down the source, the AVR and the TV and then booting them up again?

mushtafa

Yeah, been playing around with it for a few hours.

It does appear that everything is working OK in the non HDCP2.2 ports though.

It's a shame the AV receiver won't show what resolution is being inputted, only what the audio is. The TV shows 4k input, but that could be the receiver upscaling.

mushtafa

The PC will display in 3840x2160 @60Hz.

The Shield will display Amazon Video in UHD, and Plex will play in 4K, 3D, DTS, and TrueHD

dante01

Distinguished Member
Turn off the AV receiver's scaling and set it to pass the vide through. There's nothing to be gained by scaling the video with the AV receiver and the TV itself will scale lesser resolutions to fit its panel.

Not familiar with the Shield so cannot really suggest what you could do with its video output configurations to try rectuify the issue you are having? I'm assuming that the Shield works without issue if connected directly to the TV?

mushtafa

According to the manual this receiver doesn't do any upscaling. So in theory if the TV shows a 4K resolution, that should be from source rather than the receiver.

Attachments

• amp.PNG
    amp.PNG
    243.1 KB · Views: 8

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom