Onkyo 636 Teething Problems

ekay

Established Member
Reaction score
TV- Sony 498505
AMP- Onkyo 636
Speakers- Q700i

Hi guys,

Having a few issues with my new set up. Hoping that someone who has used this already will have knowledge of some fixes!

1 – I have activated the HDMI through so that I can use Sky if the amp is in standby. However something a little strange is happening. If I turn the TV on, then the Sky box….the amp turns on too (same time as pressing sky button). When turning the sky box off…the amp stays on. It only turns off, if I turn the TV off! Is there a way to stop this? I would prefer to turn the amp on from it’s own remote.

2 – I’m getting sporadic lip sync issues. Admittedly the only source at the moment that is connected is the Sky box. The TV I have is a Sony 49x85. I tried to use the audio delay on the sky settings, but it just makes it worse. Is there a way around this? It’s really bugging me!

3 – In the options there is a ‘Listening Mode Preset’ section. Everything is set to ‘last valid’…is this correct? Some of the options are ‘2ch Source, Dolby D/Dolby D Plus/True HD, Analogue PCM’….plus a few more. Should these be set to anything else?

4 – In the Firmware Update section, when trying to update the version, it says ‘unable to check for firmware update’….I’m assuming this isn’t good! The amp is connected wirelessly to my network at home….it all seems to work too, as I’ve tried the tuneIn radio app.

Apologies for the long winded post but any help will be massively appreciated.

Cheers!

The powering up of the receiver in conjunction with the TV is due to HDMI Control. The reason it happens with the TV and not the SKY STB is because SKY boxes have no HDMI CEC Control capabilities. Some HDMI devices have a setting that overrides the power element of HDMI Control, look for such an option within the HDMI settings of the receiver. The setting will be termed something like " Power Off Control".

Try not to use video processing onboard either the TV or the receiver as this can cause video delay. If applying a delay to audio and the issue is worsening then it is more likely that the audio has been delayed in some way? This is far more likely to be an issue with the source than with the devices that are handling the signal after it? If the audio is arriving after the video then there's no way to rectify this.

I'd just leave the listening mode set to last used. All it does is leave the mode set to the last setting you instigated.

I don't think there are any Firmware updates available for this receiver yet?

The powering up of the receiver in conjunction with the TV is due to HDMI Control. The reason it happens with the TV and not the SKY STB is because SKY boxes have no HDMI CEC Control capabilities. Some HDMI devices have a setting that overrides the power element of HDMI Control, look for such an option within the HDMI settings of the receiver. The setting will be termed something like " Power Off Control".

Try not to use video processing onboard either the TV or the receiver as this can cause video delay. If applying a delay to audio and the issue is worsening then it is more likely that the audio has been delayed in some way? This is far more likely to be an issue with the source than with the devices that are handling the signal after it? If the audio is arriving after the video then there's no way to rectify this.

I'd just leave the listening mode set to last used. All it does is leave the mode set to the last setting you instigated.

I don't think there are any Firmware updates available for this receiver yet?
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to fix the standby issue.

Also totally gutted about the lip sync issue...some channels/programmes seem to be worse than others!!

If anyone has any other pointers please let me know.

Are you experiencing the same audio problems if you bypass the AVR and connect the SKY box direct to the TV?

Joe

Are you experiencing the same audio problems if you bypass the AVR and connect the SKY box direct to the TV?

Joe

Hi Joe,

no before I got the AVR, the sound was fine direct to the TV.

Cheers!

Do you have the AVR set to process (presumably to 1080p) or Passthru (no processing) of the Video to the TV?

I'd set the SKY delay to none and use the AVR Delay - some program's will show a delay and some folk are more attuned to it than others, ideally you want an AVR with top level buttons on the remote to allow you to adjust the AVR delay 'on the fly'.

Joe

Do you have the AVR set to process (presumably to 1080p) or Passthru (no processing) of the Video to the TV?

I'd set the SKY delay to none and use the AVR Delay - some program's will show a delay and some folk are more attuned to it than others, ideally you want an AVR with top level buttons on the remote to allow you to adjust the AVR delay 'on the fly'.

Joe

I will take a look when I Get home. There is a 'lip sync' option on the avr which is 'on'.

As for processing I'm not sure what it is set to...will check. At the moment the delay only effects some programmes and channels. Just wish it was fine for all!

AVR - the delay will be user adjustable and hopefully easily accessed on the AVR remote.

In-sync - isn't always consistent and the larger the Display/closer you sit can be more apparent.

The Video (TV) will generally be slower than Audio (AVR) hence the need for a delay in the AVR and if the AVR is also processing Video you add additional time.

Joe

AVR - the delay will be user adjustable and hopefully easily accessed on the AVR remote.

In-sync - isn't always consistent and the larger the Display/closer you sit can be more apparent.

The Video (TV) will generally be slower than Audio (AVR) hence the need for a delay in the AVR and if the AVR is also processing Video you add additional time.

Joe
Thanks Joe...will feedback this evening.

Hi guys,

I eventually came to the bottom of the lip sync issues and managed to find a quick way to adjust the delay, as and where needed.

After using it for a few weeks, I'm generally very happy. Watching TV is at a whole new dimension for me now!

I'm having a couple of more issues now though....here's to someone who may have time to help :)

1 - I have turned on the hdmi through settings. When I turn my tv on, along with sky (all from sky remote), the Onkyo amp turns on too. I didn't intend on making this happen...I actually wanted the ability to turn the tv on only. This doesn't bother me too much though. The problem is that I have a Western Digital Media player connected to the amp. when the amp turns on, so does this. Is there a way to stop this?

2 - In the 'monitor out' section of the amp, I have set it to 1080p. If I set this to 4k...the image is a little 'jerky' and not at all smooth. I assume the amp is upscaling at this point. Is there a way to make the 4k a little more acceptable? The TV is the Sony 49x85, and I have used the settings recommended on the AV forums screen test.

thanks guys!

'Is there a way to make the 4k a little more acceptable?' - usually disabling any conversion in the AVR and let the TV get on with it is the best 'fix'. There is no need to convert in the AVR when the TV will do it!

Joe

'Is there a way to make the 4k a little more acceptable?' - usually disabling any conversion in the AVR and let the TV get on with it is the best 'fix'. There is no need to convert in the AVR when the TV will do it!

Joe

Thanks for this joe....this has confused me a little.

So does the set carry out the 'upscale' function? I was under the impression that the receiver is responsible for this.

If it is the TV that does the work...what should the receivers 'monitor out' settings be? I currently have it on 1080p.

Don't suppose you know how I can fix the issue with the media player do you?

thanks as always, Joe.

'I was under the impression that the receiver is responsible for this.' - the TV has a pixel resolution of 3840x2160p so everything you view on the TV which is not natively 3840x2160 is 'upscaled' to fill the screen (otherwise you would view non '2160p' content as a 'postage stamp' within the screen area.

By upscaling in the AVR you are simply 'moving' where that scaling process takes place - which may be a good option (if the processor in the AVR is better than the processor in the TV) or a bad thing (if the TV is the better processor and allows you more control of individual settings for each signal type[usually the case]).

Set the AVR to video 'bypass' and let the TV do the upscaling.

Joe

HDMI CEC is the mechanism whereby devices communicate over the HDMI cables - HDMI :: Resources :: Knowledge Base

Hardware manufacturers are allowed to pick and choose how/what features they implement - and also to give their implementation a 'branded' name (Viera Link, Bravia Sync, Anynet...).

Look for HDMI ‘control’ within the various device User Menus and try disabling or altering settings.

I’m guessing too you may be able to change how the WD box reacts to devices coming ‘on-stream’.

Joe

'I was under the impression that the receiver is responsible for this.' - the TV has a pixel resolution of 3840x2160p so everything you view on the TV which is not natively 3840x2160 is 'upscaled' to fill the screen (otherwise you would view non '2160p' content as a 'postage stamp' within the screen area.

By upscaling in the AVR you are simply 'moving' where that scaling process takes place - which may be a good option (if the processor in the AVR is better than the processor in the TV) or a bad thing (if the TV is the better processor and allows you more control of individual settings for each signal type[usually the case]).

Set the AVR to video 'bypass' and let the TV do the upscaling.

Joe

Ok great...I will try this.

the Sky box is currently set to 1080p. Is that to be altered too within the settings of the the box itself?

SKY is 576p @50Hz for SD channels and 1080i @ 50Hz for HD channels.

You can either set SKY to Automatic - the output will toggle between 576p and 1080i depending on the channel you are viewing or set it to 1080i (the SKY box converts the 576p SD channels to 1080i).

Purists will say use Automatic - though some (most) find that a pain as the TV will have to 'toggle' modes as you flick through SD/HD channels.

Try both options – and again keep the AVR set to Passthru.

Joe

Hi Joe...got an update for you!

No Joy with the WD media player control...however I moved the upscaling to the TV...and hey presto, my Lip Sync issue is almost gone! My main use of the TV is football...and its looking and sounding a lot better!

Need to spend some more time trying to figure out the HDMI power issue however.

Good that you are making progress.

If none of the control option combinations solve the auto power on problem you may need to insert a CEC 'manager' between the WD drive and the Amp.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom