Onkyo 609 & Sky HD

HarvSingh

Novice Member
Hi All

I have the following issue

I have a under TV cabinet....this is pretty low slung...and this has a draw on each side, and centre open for HE kit.

I have since altered this setup from the inside, and externally now still shows the right look

Let me clarify

Left hand side.
This is still a draw. With a draw (wood) front in place

Centre ( open )
Onkyo 609
Revo Media Centre

Right hand side
This now has inside
SKY HD+
Sling Catcher
Network Switch

But the door front is still in place...so it looks standard and as it did prior

I have tried 2 different IR senders to the SKY HD
(the original one from SKY plus) and also one from Maplins (Nikkai IR Sender)

There is apparently settings in the Onkyo to control the SKY HD via the HDMI cable? I think this kinda works....but its a bit hit and miss.

As you can see...the SKY box is hidden away...and controlling the thing is a real pain now.

I have a Harmony One Remote too... but never set it up...as I know controlling the box needs to be sorted first.

So.. Now I need to know... Is there a much better (known working) IR repeater...that I can locate under the TV...and into the right draw...or if the Harmony is able to control all the items in the draw?

I know the PS3 can be controlled via the Harmony One also... but with a PS3 addon?

Please help.. I've spent alot of money on this kit...and its peeing me off..that i cannot control the kit as i should be able to.

See pics below

Attachments

• 2012-07-12 16.36.12 (Small).jpg
    2012-07-12 16.36.12 (Small).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 2012-07-12 16.36.35 (Small).jpg
    2012-07-12 16.36.35 (Small).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 2012-07-12 16.36.49 (Small).jpg
    2012-07-12 16.36.49 (Small).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 79
  • 2012-07-12 16.37.31 (Small).jpg
    2012-07-12 16.37.31 (Small).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 2012-07-12 16.37.44 (Small).jpg
    2012-07-12 16.37.44 (Small).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 88

dante01

Distinguished Member
SKY boxes lack HDMI control abilities and compliance with HDMI CEC spec. Any IR remote will need a clear line of sight with the IR receiver on the devices it is intended to control. Yes, your Harmony remote can control all of your devices, but you will need an IR repeater or extender in order to transmit the IR signal from the harmony to inside the drawer.

HarvSingh

Novice Member
SKY boxes lack HDMI control abilities and compliance with HDMI CEC spec. Any IR remote will need a clear line of sight with the IR receiver on the devices it is intended to control. Yes, your Harmony remote can control all of your devices, but you will need an IR repeater or extender in order to transmit the IR signal from the harmony to inside the drawer.

Thanks Dante01

I do have a Repeater (One sensor located just under TV...and one next to Revo above amp) This is the Nikkai repeater.... but this is just sooo hit and miss

I have removed the IR sensors from the door panel (which is what they are normally connected to...but that still hasn't helped

Maybe I need a much better repeater?

What would you and others recommend looking at the issue and problems?
Thanks

HarvSingh

Novice Member
Look for a wired repeater as opposed to wireless.

I'm sorry.. the Nikkai repeater is wired.
It has one main receiver. (by the Revo ontop of AMP) ..one smaller one (under the TV) and then 3 sensors in the draw...

But it is rather crap!

Is there ones anyone is using..and find it simply "does what it is supposed to"

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I'm sorry.. the Nikkai repeater is wired.
It has one main receiver. (by the Revo ontop of AMP) ..one smaller one (under the TV) and then 3 sensors in the draw...

But it is rather crap!

Is there ones anyone is using..and find it simply "does what it is supposed to"
I'm using a Sonance CR1 + CB1 with perfect results.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Thanks alot...

I'll try to see if there are available in UK... Is there any issue with these being USA as for the frequencies and stuff? I know that Chinese markets have a diff IR band....(logitech Chinese wont work in UK)
I'm in CH. The device is sold locally here, including local power supply for the 1 zone, 4 emitter connecting block. Alternatives that work perfectly in Europe are Xantech and Russound.

Before buying a specific IR receiver model, you should check its documented specifications to verify that it will function in your environment with your specific noise sources, such as:
• Fluorescent, Halogen or Neon lights, and light dimmers.
• Direct or reflected sunlight.
• Electronic noise from tube or flat panel televisions.
• Infrared security sensors.

All of the manufacturers I've listed have a series of models with better or lesser spurious signal rejection characteristics, this being reflected in the price. The Sonance CR1 I'm using costs CHF164 (a little over £100).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom