• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo 608 & Samsung LCD= volume display issues

meshuggah

Standard Member
I have a customer that has an Onkyo TXSR608 receiver, a Samsung UN55B6000 LED TV, Samsung BDP3600, and DirecTV HD box. My issue is a display that pops up on the TV when the volume is pressed on the TV remote. Onkyo setting 'RiHD' in system setup is turned on allowing volume from TV remote to control (via HDMI) the Onkyo volume (actually I have the Sat remote programmed to control the tv which obviously does the same thing). When the volume is pressed, a grey display pops up at the bottom of the tv that says TXSR608 & the volume number, and alternates with another display up the left side of the tv labeled Anynet (back & forth, back & forth) for about a second each. Initially I was able to get rid of all displays but after about a month the displays came back. I have tried to reset the Onkyo but it did not fix the problem. I have tried to turn off Anynet on the Samsung but the RiHD 'audio return channel' stops working meaning when the Onkyo turns on, the audio doesn't "override the actual tv speakers". Onkyo tech support says that they have never heard of the 'grey bar' that I am experiencing and I should mention that I turned off the OSD on the Onkyo so that the nice graphical 'blue volume bar' is no longer seen. My customer and I are very frustrated and I am not even sure if it is the Onkyo. It very well could be the Samsung. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:

logiciel

I'd turn off the TV's speakers permanently and get full use of the Onkyo, then turn off all the automatic switching systems, hide the original remotes, and get a new universal remote.
Check out the Remote Controls forum.

meshuggah

Standard Member
Thanks for the recommendation, but he originally decided on a Pioneer receiver and I talked him into getting an Onkyo. Since I originally had it working flawlessly and then it started having problems, he now wishes he got a Pioneer and has even more of a lack of interest in paying extra for a remote. Even if I was to program a remote in this case, the Onkyo remote 'volume button' causes the grey bar at the bottom of the TV to display. He does not want any display whatsoever on the TV. He likes only the TV speakers to work sometimes when his baby is sleeping so he can keep the volume way down, but I will try turning off the TV speakers just to see if there is any improvement, I hadn't thought of that. I have the same TV at my house so I think that I will bring it over and hook it up to just see if it is a TV issue. I really appreciate your help and I will update when I give it a try, thanks.

logiciel

That's OK and do let us know how it goes.
It has to be something in the TV that's causing the unwanted display, so I'd look at the small print of its manual.
The Onky will turn its volume down as low as you like, and it has a Late Night Function. I never use a TV's speakers anyway but when I got the Onky those were more reasons for not doing so!
All these automatic systems like Anynet and the Onky's usually cause more problems than they solve, and I turn them off too. If you could get it down to using the Onky remote for everything that would be the best solution barring a universal remote.

meshuggah

Standard Member
I have never tried getting anything into the Onkyo remote, but will it have buttons for dvr functions such as the dvr list or record? If it does I could certainly try that. Thanks for the advice.

logiciel

Yes, it has record, play, and list buttons.
The thing is you have to press its Input button for each device anyway, and then the relevant buttons are automatically set to control the device, so it saves hassle almost as much as a universal would.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom