• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo 608 or Yamaha 667 AVR for passive sound bar

angusjack

I am about to move to a new build house and for the living room set-up I am trying to decide between the onkyo tx-sr608 and the yamaha RX-V667. I have demoed both in a conventiaonal 5.1 set up and my prefference is for the Onkyo.

However due to limited options (mainly imposed by the wife) I'm looking at a passive 5 channel sundbar, Sub and possbly a couple for ceiling speakers installed in two of the existing halogen downlighters (see below) therefore wanted to ask if either of these amps offer any advantages for a sound bar set-up. e.g. ease of set-up or sound quality.

Soundbar: Definative Tachnology Mythos SSA 42
SUB: TBA (want to set everyhting else up first)
Ceiling speakers: Monotor Audio CPC 120

Sources will be SKY HD, PS3, Humax HDR Fox T2 and Bluray Player. all of which will be located in a central area with the new AV reciver. Will be adding an HDMI matrix at a later date upstream of the receiver to feed all sources to the family room (stereo only).

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Never heard of a passive sound bar. I wouldn't buy without a demo and as I would imagine that reviews/owners of the sound bar you linked to will be rarer than hen's teeth (I might be wrong and there could be loads of owners on here). Are you buying it locally? If so, what advice did your dealer offer up?

If you search for the term "Mythos" in the speakers forum, a number of threads turn up there. Perhaps you will glean some information there on what people use to drive them.

Member 502413

Standard Member
I have had some experiance of the Mythos sound bar, I found it to be a great product but would need a better amp than the 667 or 608. I would use the Monitor Audio Radius One ( three channel sound bar ) , the CPC 120 speakers and a Monitor Audio Radius sub. This combination works really well with the Onkyo TXSR608. Hope this helps.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I have had some experiance of the Mythos sound bar, I found it to be a great product but would need a better amp than the 667 or 608. I would use the Monitor Audio Radius One ( three channel sound bar ) , the CPC 120 speakers and a Monitor Audio Radius sub. This combination works really well with the Onkyo TXSR608. Hope this helps.

Why a Monitor Audio Radius sub?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom