Onkyo 608 or other issue.

dbanugo

Banned
I'm not really sure if the problem is my Onyko 608, my Samsung UE55c8000 or my Sky HD box, so I thought I would post it here as well as in the 3D section of this forum.

My setup:
Onyko 608
SKY HD
Samsung UE55C800
Harmony 765 Remote control
All connected to the amp and then amp to TV
The Amp is set to output all to 1080p and the SKY box is set to 1080i

I explain my setup to make it easier to understand. The HD box is plugged into the CBL\SAT input on the amp; the HDMI output from the amp is connected to the HDMI/DVI input of the TV.

I use my Harmony 765 remote to control it all.

Now my problem:

1. When I press the SKY activate on the harmony remote, SKY HD turns on first, then the TV and then at the same time the Amp, the Amp switches the input to CBL\SAT ok, but Sometimes I get a picture on the TV, but on other times I get a "No signals please check cable connection" display on the TV, I don’t get any picture but I can hear sound from my SKY HD. In order to fix this I would need to turn my Amp off and on again.

2. Also sometimes when changing from HD to SD the picture goes and the HDMI sign on the Amp flashes, if am lucky I get a picture, but sometimes I get the "No signal check power and cable" connection on the TV.

It seems to me to be some kind of delay from the Amp to the TV. The TV does not get the signal in time for some reason. It's really annoying and I would really like to sort it out if possible. Can anyone help?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The first issue sounds like a handshake problem. Try changing the order that you turn the items on. So have the amp come on first and then Sky and last the TV. You can do this in the Harmony software easily enough. You can even add a small delay before the TV comes on to ensure the amp has changed input too.
Personally I wuld not bother upscaling in the amp and just let you TV do all the upscaling as it will be just as good if not better than the amp anyway. On the second issue do you mean when you change from a HD to an SD channel within sky?

dbanugo

Banned
The first issue sounds like a handshake problem. Try changing the order that you turn the items on. So have the amp come on first and then Sky and last the TV. You can do this in the Harmony software easily enough. You can even add a small delay before the TV comes on to ensure the amp has changed input too.
Personally I wuld not bother upscaling in the amp and just let you TV do all the upscaling as it will be just as good if not better than the amp anyway. On the second issue do you mean when you change from a HD to an SD channel within sky?
Thanks for the reply, I'll give your recommendation a try. The other issue is when I change from Sky HD to SKy SD on the sky box.

OnkyoUK

I'm not really sure if the problem is my Onyko 608, my Samsung UE55c8000 or my Sky HD box, so I thought I would post it here as well as in the 3D section of this forum.

My setup:
Onyko 608
SKY HD
Samsung UE55C800
Harmony 765 Remote control
All connected to the amp and then amp to TV
The Amp is set to output all to 1080p and the SKY box is set to 1080i

I explain my setup to make it easier to understand. The HD box is plugged into the CBL\SAT input on the amp; the HDMI output from the amp is connected to the HDMI/DVI input of the TV.

I use my Harmony 765 remote to control it all.

Now my problem:

1. When I press the SKY activate on the harmony remote, SKY HD turns on first, then the TV and then at the same time the Amp, the Amp switches the input to CBL\SAT ok, but Sometimes I get a picture on the TV, but on other times I get a "No signals please check cable connection" display on the TV, I don’t get any picture but I can hear sound from my SKY HD. In order to fix this I would need to turn my Amp off and on again.

2. Also sometimes when changing from HD to SD the picture goes and the HDMI sign on the Amp flashes, if am lucky I get a picture, but sometimes I get the "No signal check power and cable" connection on the TV.

It seems to me to be some kind of delay from the Amp to the TV. The TV does not get the signal in time for some reason. It's really annoying and I would really like to sort it out if possible. Can anyone help?
Hi dbanugo, your first issue IS a handshake problem( as PSM 1 has already said) your second problems is also handshake related, if you go from a HD chan to a SD chan the process needs to handshake again, one of the ways to get round this (and what i do at home) is force the skyHD box to 1080i that way all of the HD channels you have are sent from the sky box in their raw format and the rest of the chans are upscaled to 1080i within the sky box and then sent out to the AVR, im not saying this is the best way of doing it but it does mean the HD chans are left intact, and it stops the handshake issue every time you change between HD & SD.

hope this helps

Top Bottom